Hot Start Turbo Arrow III

I haven't quite figured out the best procedure in starting my 1977 Turbo Arrow III after a short down time . The engine is still hot after a fuel stop. It's been hot out here in California and the engine struggles a bit to start with the technique I've been using. The POH has a "flooded" proceedure but not "hot".

My technique has been: Mixture full rich, throttle 1|4 open, prime 3-5 seconds, mixture full lean, throttle half, engage starter.

After start: throttle idle, mixture rich, adjust mixture after engine settles to idle.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

Comments

• What I've found works in my 1978 TAIII is this:

1. Throttle full, mixture idle, boost pump high for 45 sec
    2. Throttle 1/2 in, mixture full, boost pump off 1-2 sec after steady fuel flow (elapsed time < 10 sec)
    3. Start engine

Step 1 will move cool fuel from the tank through the fuel pump and back to the tank (via the return line) cooling the fuel pump and the hoses.

Step 2 will prime (cooler) fuel from the fuel pump through the spider and injectors (normal prime)

This works for me. YMMV

DJ

• I'll give that a try. Thanks DJ

• Two more items for consideration:

- When parking, try to point into the wind to the best extent possible.

- Open the oil filler hatch as this will also help shed some heat. Just make sure to close prior to engine start.

• What works for me is everything fully forward and give it 1-2 seconds of priming, then reduce throttle to 1 inch or so (mixture still full forward) and crank.

I don’t recall last time when this did not work, but if it ever does not, plan „B” is what DJ said. My battery, starter, ignition harness, magnetos, and spark plugs are all well maintained, so that probably contributes a simple procedure being so successful.

Karol Zadora
    PA28RT-201T Turbo Arrow IV
    Seattle Area

• All good suggestions. I plan on flying soon and will give it a go. I'll report how it goes and thanks again for the advice.

• I have found that turning the boost pump to low can help with hot starts if "normal" hot start procedure does not work. As soon as engine catches, adjust mixture and throttle and turn off boost pump. I am in Texas, so hot starts are a way of life. 1977 TAIII.

Ben

• Thanks for the additional advice Greygoose.

I had one hot start and the method I used was from DJ. It worked. Just to see which one works best I'll try all suggestions applied here.

Thanks again all!

• A note on this. for a TSIO-360 many shipped with the alternate prime that switches on the low pump and then also switches the fuel from the injectors to a spray nozzle in the intake runners. There is a SB to remove this prime system as if it fails in can knock out your engine (prime is not enough fuel to stay in the air)

I bring it up as it is ~ unique to the TSIO-360 as far as I know. Also, when you let go of the prime button it switches back to the spider - but in a hot start the spider and injectors/lines are likely dry initially

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Similar to kzadora mentioned above, a slight variation works for me when stopped for a 20-60 minute period. When hot, everything forward, then prime or fuel pump high until the fuel flow meter jumps and stabilizes but no longer; then pump off. This method, using fuel flow stabilization seems to be sufficient to purge the vapor lock in the fuel lines and will result in an almost flooded (certainly plenty of fuel) situation. An inch or so of throttle should allow it to fire off quite rapidly and reduce throttle to your idle setting. If it doesn't fire off within a turn or so, increase the throttle unit it does. Perhaps beginning the starter engagement at idle-cutoff might work for you, but I've not found this necessary. This tends to work nicely in West Texas on days where density altitude is in the 6000' range, but I've used it closer to sea level with the same good results. It typically takes about 2-3 seconds of cranking to get things to fire off. WOT might speed it up a bit...and I'll have to give it a go on my next hot day.

• In my non Turbo Arrow, (not sure if this helps in your Turbo model) this simple technique has worded for me for years now after hearing/ reading about it in one of the many publications I get.

-Throttle and Prop Full

-No Mixture

-Starts quickly so be prepared to move quickly bringing the mixture to full while bringing the Throttle back just as quickly to 1000rpm. Then reduce your mixture back to your taxiing level.

Based in SoCal so hot starts after re-fueling can be in 100+ degree temps.

• Thanks for the additional methods everyone. I will have to give them a go next time out. I'll report back after.

Thanks