EDM830

I am Installing an EDM830 in my 1977 Turbo Arrow 3 and am looking for advice on good locations for both the fuel flow transmitter and the oil pressure transmitter? pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks Doug

Comments

• Doug, you mechanic should have a good handle on this, Every install slightly different from plane to plane. The STC should have any warning on where NOT to place them.

carl

48 yrs A/P IA DAL aircraft inspector. 172N

• Here is a tip that is not in the manual.

The 830 will store data and will download to a USB drive. This part is known and covered.

The part that has no coverage (when I checked a couple months ago) is that you must find an older USB drive as there is a 4GB limit. Put another way, the 830 will not see USB drives that have more than 4GB and simply ignore that they are present. I had to phone the experts to learn why my new USB drive would not work which was how I learned about the 4GB limit. And then went shopping on eBay to find an older drive.

• JP Instruments includes a drive in the install kit with the EDM830 and 900 series. For fuel flow, you'll go in line between the gascolator and servo, I usually attach with a bracket and adel (cushion) clamps. Oil pressure is usually on a flexible hose, clamped at the hot side of the firewall, again using an adel clamp on existing hardware or an engine mount strut.

No current EDM pics, but am just getting started on an EI CGR-30 install-similar considerations for sensors.

Tom Jackson

PA28RT-201, N3022U

Tappahannock, VA (KXSA)

A&P/IA, Private Pilot, IR/A

• For my 1978 TAIII with the Continental TSIO-360-FB engine, the JPI fuel flow sensor was placed downstream (after) the fuel pump between the throttle body and the spider. The fuel pump in this engine separates liquid fuel and fuel vapor and returns the vapor to the fuel tank. For accurate readings you must not measure the vapor - only the fuel that actually reaches the spider, and thus the injectors. The JPI installation documentation describes this placement.

DJ

• Yes, USB drive is in the box.

Tom Jackson

PA28RT-201, N3022U

Tappahannock, VA (KXSA)

A&P/IA, Private Pilot, IR/A

• Thanks Everyone