PA-28 down at 06C on 9/11/2024

Yes, it happened on 9/11, and no, this is not a prank. Many of you know that I'm based at 06C (Schaumburg, IL), and fly a PA-28 Warrior II.

Yesterday a similar PA-28 went down about 400 ft from the runway at 06C. It was on the news. This was a forced off-airport landing, and both occupants survived with minimal injuries. I don't know what happened, I'll leave that to the NTSB to figure out.

Thank you to those who reached out to me yesterday and today. I'll confirm that I was not involved in the accident, nor did I know the occupants of the plane that went down.

The plane was based at one of the flight schools at 06C. I looked up their path on Flight Aware. It appears that they were on a training flight to/from JVL (Janesville, WI). From the looks of the outbound flight, they may have shot an instrument approach at JVL.

I don't know them, but I'm happy everyone was ok.

The news will report that a 4-seat Cessna went down, killing all 93 on board, and will blame it on Boeing.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
PA28 - 161
Chicago area

Comments

• Glad that it turned into a good landing.

When it comes to liberal details, don't forget that we now have a bunch of Internet sleuths (aka: "influencers") that will pour their (lack of) expertise and (lack of) hands-on knowledge into the mix in order to make money while sitting on their fanny.

• Jacobs;

From the looks of it, the plane will be totaled. It was heavily damaged.

You are right, there is an incredible amount of misinformation out in the wild, especially when it comes to aviation. Some is intentionally malicious, while other is just ignorance. True journalism no longer exists. The "reporters" just read each other's feeds and copy/paste.

Here's a link to the accident. WGN has one of their helicopters based at 06C. They did a decent job on the story.

https://wgntv.com/news/northwest-suburbs/roselle-illinois-plane-crash/

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• FWIW, it seems a bit of context was possibly missed in the comment about a good landing. My perspective is the more optimistic definition where, despite bent metal, everybody walked away. Will definitely mourn the loss of an increasingly scarce plane as well.

• Jacobs:

Understood your point and fully agree on the landing. Any landing you walk away from... and fortunately, they both walked away.

Still don't know the cause, but I found out a little more. It was a 1972 Arrow, regular tail. Instrument student, excited to learn and fly a complex plane.

Sadly, just as I predicted, a local newspaper reported it as a Cessna.

On 2nd thought, maybe that's a good thing.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area