Flying Lance cross country with gear down

I have a problem with my landing gear on Piper Lance. Appears to be bad hydraulic pump/motor.

Research indicates at least two month lead time to get a rebuild replacement.

Are there any issues or concerns if I fly it on three-hour flights with the gear down, until I can get the pump installed?

Comments

• I would discuss removing any gear doors on the mains with your A&P. They will get buffeted and start to wear.

There are some good troubleshooting threads here on gear issues too regarding the pump as well as internal leaks in the bypass valve, etc.

In general it will not be an issue aside from being slow and also impacting your engine out glide range. Not that uncommon to fly this way. Most out of annual fery permits will specific gear down only, etc.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Thank you for the feedback. I will discuss the gear doors with my A&P.

Regarding the pump, my A&P said he tested multiple other possible scenarios.

But, he said he applied power directly to the pump and it would spark but not operate. So, his conclusion was bad motor.

• I had a similar problem Sept2023 with my Lance II power pack, we sent it to Cox Airparts, LLC in Wichita KS for repair and overhaul...it took 1.5 months for repair. Hopefully, you can get expedited repairs. Good Luck.

• One more thing to be aware of is I assume you have not been able to cycle your landing gear make very sure all of your down locks are very secure on each of the gear because since you have not been able to cycle the gear you may not have a hydraulic lock in the lines to help prevent them from over center unlocking the event of a oddball landing. The same reasoning is what drives us to cycle the landing gear on a Piper several times after doing a emergency drop check with the override is to make sure you have a good hydraulic lock in addition to the spring down lock.

This type of flying does have a modicum of risk involved with it so just be aware of it

Carl

48 yrs A/P IA DAL aircraft inspector. 172N

• Carl has an interesting point. I had thought "gear down" powers the gear down but then the motor cuts off and it never turns on again like it would if you were in the "gear up" position and the gear started to drop.

There is also a "static" hydraulic lock similar to a shock absorber and the cylinders will be harder to move but my now vague recollection is am not sure how much sideload it would take to get it over the spring lock and moving.

Avoiding cross wind landings might be wise.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Good info, I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for the reference to Cox Airparts, I may reach out to them.

and the heads-up regarding the gear down "lock" and potential risks.

• Yeah Eric that's exactly what I'm worried about .nose gear probably is the better locked down item of the three because it should have a couple of very heavy duty overcenter springs , main gears , if there's enough slop it doesn't take a lot to pop one of those over-center and that's why you rely secondary on leftover hydraulic pressure / hydraulic lock

Chances are he'll be fine but as mentioned it's not without risk.

Carl

48 yrs A/P IA DAL aircraft inspector. 172N

• Just a quick update. I have decided it is not worth the risk, so, will not fly it until I can get pump fixed. Am working on locating a pump and/or may send existing pump to Cox Airparts.

• I respect your decision, thanks for sharing and keep us updated on the outcome. If flying were easy everyone would be doing it!

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Be advised Cox is running 4-6 weeks turn right now, we've been searching for one for a customer. Had one in line and the vendor dropped it and had to send it back to Cox. As of right now, they are the only game in town for repairing them, as Aerospace Turbine Rotables test stand is inop, and they will likely be 90 days to get caught back up, per our last call with them.

Tom

Tom Jackson

PA28RT-201, N3022U

Tappahannock, VA (KXSA)

A&P/IA, Private Pilot, IR/A

• A quick update, I located a Used Servicable Hydraulic pump through Texas Air Salvage. Pump has been installed, tested and has now been flown a few times with no issues.

Thank you to all for your feedback.

• Fantastic! I am glad you are back in the air

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)