Flying destinations in Rochester, NY area?

Greetings all,

I just relocated from western Michigan to Rochester, NY. Yes, I realize this was a lateral move weather-wise, trading one lake effect show area for another. I guess I'm not as smart as a friend of mine who moved to California (but at least I can afford my hangar in New York).

Anyway, I was curious if any Piper owners local to the area have suggestions for interesting local flying destinations. My current list includes:

- Sightseeing over Niagra Falls (I've read the recommended procedure in the AFD - sounds reasonable).
- Oswego County (Fulton): supposedly a nice restaurant there.

Does anyone know if the aviation museum in Elmira is set-up to receive fly-in visitors? They appear to be on or near the airport, but it's not clear from their website.

Ok, so that's not a very long list. What else would folks recommend?

Thanks!

-- Chris

Comments

• David and Jim -

Thanks for your comments.

I took advantage of today's unseasonably warm, sunny weather to venture down to the Wings of Eagles Museum (formerly National Warplane Museum) in Elmira. Parking is at the FBO next door to the museum (Trajen). There was some interesting stuff at the museum, including a restoration of an A-10 (seems odd to say "restoration" about an aircraft type still in service). Also interesting was the work being down to restore a MiG-17 to flight status that was being led and funded by the owner of the aircraft. The docents I spoke to were very knowledgeable. It was a great means to fritter-away a Saturday on things aviation oriented!

-- Chris
  • Hi Chris, Welcome to Rochester. At least you did not move here from California like me. Here are a couple of things to add to your list:

Toronto island airport is a beautiful trip. Cessna used this airport in their brochures (with the CN tower airbrushed out). Once there you can walk to food/hotels/streetcar. Requires custom sticker, radio station license, fees etc - all easy and worth it for using this amazing airport before they close it. And Toronto is a great city to get to know when you live here.

For a $100 hamburger, Bradford PA (KBFD) and Fulton county KFZY are nice with good, if not so healthy, food.

cheers,

jeff

• One more to add to the list. Lake Placid is a great place to head out and have lunch. Town is a very short cab ride from the airport and it is a great town to walk around. Went there yesterday and it is a good time of the year to visit - warm but still snow on the peaks. Ate at the "The Cottage" at the mirror lake inn and I recommend it. http://www.mirrorlakeinn.com/dining/cottage.php
    Do not count on filling at the airport - I was unable to buy fuel when I was there.

• I used to live in Rochester and Toronto is on my list of great cities to visit also you are very close to the St Lawrence seaway which is always a favorite. Ottawa Canada is a great place with parliment and the changing of the guard, a diverse city with a dual culture.Crossing the river in Ottawa gets you into Quebec,great culture and great people, I always feel like I'm in europe when traveling to Quebec,if you like renting cottages on beautiful lakes for great fishing then just a few hundred miles north of Ottawa you have so many choices.I grew up and spent my summers on a lake called Pemichangan which spills into 31 mile lake which spills into another lake, you get the picture.Continue flying north and you are at Hudsons Bay.
  • Now that it's been a couple years since my original post, I have had lots of opportunities to check out some of the suggestions. Thanks to everyone who replied.

The only time I visited Penn Yan, I landed on runway 28. I made a beautiful full stall landing and, during the roll-out, wondered to myself, "why am I picking up so much speed?" That's quite a downhill grade!

Some of our favorite trips since moving to Rochester have been to Lock Haven (PA), Lake Placid, and Alexandria Bay (where we took a tour of Boldt Castle). New York (and Pennsylvania, for that matter) have a lot of nice flying destinations to offer and we're still exploring. We still haven't landed anywhere in Canada, but have been over Niagara Falls a couple of times while flying to Michigan. We're planning a trip to visit friends in Jersey this spring and might try the ultimate New York VFR experience: the Hudson River corridor.
  • Kevin -

I have not had any reason to visit Skaneateles yet, though I've thought about it. I certainly hear a lot of Unicom chatter from over there. Is Doug's on the field or simply nearby? What about the comments on AirNav about broken asphalt and potholes on the paved runway? How bad is it? Or is 6B9 best visited via the grass runway during the warmer months?

Also, the diner on the field at Oswego reopened under new ownership last November. We visited there a few weeks ago. The food was good and very reasonably priced. The staff told us that business had been slow, but they hoped it would pick up with warmer weather.
  • Kevin - Just a quick PIREP on Oswego - I've heard rumors that the new diner there has already closed down. I don't know for certain, but I would hate for you to run up there for nothing.