Ontario, Canada CYFD to KPIE

Good day all,
I am planning a trip to Florida with my family of 5 on Saturday April 21st.
I fly a 1980 Fixed Gear Saratoga and we will be going IFR from CYFD to GSO which will be our first stop to clear customs and fuel up. From GSO we are planning on going to KPIE and staying there for a week. We have a condo on Indian shores. I am also considering staying at CLK instead of PIE?
Any experience on filing would be great as well, do American controllers rather airways or Direct filing?
Any input on FBO's at KPIE and GSO would be greatly appreciated or any other input that we can get would be great!
In fact any input at all would be great!
Thanks is advance!
Rob T.

Comments

• I fly IFR /G in the Southeast being based in Orlando. The controllers will normally let you go direct, but only if they know the other end of your route. This means that you need to pick VOR or major intercections for your route. I normally us the AOPA RTFP and tell it to use airways. I then start deleting points based on flying only about 150 miles between "well known" points. I would file:
    (CYFD) ERI V37 EWC CKB ROA (KGSO)
    (KGSO) CAE SAV SSI OCF PIE (KPIE)
  • I know this will sound dumb, but be advised that there are about 4, maybe 5 airports in the close vicinity of KPIE, including an AFB. It is real easy to "visually call the field" and if you're not careful, it will be the wrong one. Don't ask how I know.

Frank.
  • I just got back from a beach house at Indian Rock Beach.

Did you consider CLW instead of PIE?

Both times I've flown into the area, I've been given...

SAV->KELER->SSI->v441->GNV->BAYPO->Destination.
  • Great restaurant at CLW.

Frank.
  • Thanks for all the info!
    Returned from our trip on Saturday. We ended up going to The Strand KCRE on Friday and then down to KPIE on Saturday. The people at Ramp 66 at KCRE are great! I recommend this airport to anyone flying in the area. We used Signature at KPIE and on arrival they were accommodating, rental car on the ramp waiting AC on and the Ramp guy helped us unload. Leaving on Friday I could get no help the lady at the counter was a real b________ rhymes with witch. Next time I will definitely try CLW. On the way home on Saturday we stopped at GSO and used Landmark FBO, they were nice people gave us a crew car to go into town to get some lunch plane was full of fuel when we were ready to go. Had to climb up to 13k for most of the ride home to get above the weather it was smooth but we were fighting a 35Knot head wind all the way home.
    All in all a great trip and now that i'm home I can't wait to go again! I think soon we will head to The Strand for a weekend!
    Cheers!