Bahamas in my plane

What a trip! I'm a low timer (170) and ppl for just under two years. However, early in the training, I began dreaming of the day of taking my own plane to the bahamas. Now it's a reality!

I have been aquiring the info, gear etc. for making the trip for over a year. I purchased a saratoga (fg) in Feb. of this year and got some thorough training in it from a CFI. In the back of my mind, I knew I'd be taking the plane 'over the water' someday but I didn't realize it would come so soon. About 3 weeks ago, Friday afternoon, I recieved my Aircraft Registration in the mail (no more pink slip). After looking at it a few moments I made the comment to my wife that now I had everything required to make the bahamas trip. The more I thought about it, the more excited I got and started thinking -Why not now? The kids were out for spring break for a week starting that very day and we had no plans (ie. stay home/work) at about 4:00 that afternoon, I got on the net, the weather looked great, so started looking for a place to stay.Found a condo in Treasure Cay. We packed that evening and got in the plane the next morning about 9:30. I had flight planned the trip about a hundred times, have a cabinet and a few notebooks with tons of info, had several copies of the Bahamas pilots guide, had already purchased the raft and life jackets,...(can you say obsessing) Anyway, checked the weather, checked again, got a briefing, and took off.
Landed in Ft. Pierce per everyones suggestion, (excellent FBO) got the forms, filed a DVFR, opened once airborne and headed over. Went over at 7500 over a scattered layer. flew right over grand bahama and landed in Marsh Harbour. Incredible views of water/islands. No problems at Marsh, not nearly as busy as I had anticipated and certainly not near as busy as FPR.
Took a taxi to Treasure Cay. Incredible beach, perfect weather. Stayed three days and had to get back home (work). The plane was at cherokee (very nice FBO) did the briefing, weather, flt plan there. Free phone service to Miami FSS. Flew back into FPR dodging traffic. Cleared customs - piece of cake - looked at passports walked in and right back out. Went next door to the Tiki FBO and had lunch while the plane was topped off. Then the flight home.
Lots of planing and good info made it a very smooth event and a very good memorable trip. Go there!

Comments

• Nice report Mike! Treaure Cay is one of our favorites. I love to have a few Kaliks at the Treaure Cay Resort Tiki Bar while the sun is going down over the marina. It does not get a lot better than that. You could have flown into Treaure Cay without going to Marsh Harbour, unless maybe you are confused and was really at Marsh (MYAM) instead of Treasure (MYAT). They are only about 20 miles apart. Both are delightful. You are, btw, not obsessing to have included jackets (required) and a raft (much better than floating around in a jacket trolling for sharks) :) if you really want to get away form it all, just about 10-15 miles northeast of Treasure is Spanish Cay. Ain't nothing there except for the Spanish Cay Resort (which is very nice but more expensive than Treaure or Marsh). If you are a diver, that is where to go. The reefs at Treasure and Marsh are pretty but they have been fished out. The reefs at Spanish are just about virgin (read lots of lobster). Anyway, glad to see others on the forum are taking advantage of the islands. We love going over there.

Frank
  • It was Treasure Cay. I've made a few trips over before (commercial flt) with the guys and we stayed in Marsh Harbour. I decided on Treasure this time, and it was much nicer - esp. with the family.
    A big ya-hoo on the diving at Spanish. Last years lobster diving trip with the guys, we stayed at Marsh harbour. after three days of striking out on the bugs, we drove the 22' rental boat from Marsh to Allens-pennsecola Cay. We definetly found them there. (ran out of gas and had to get towed, but thats another story)
    Anyway, the trip to Treasure was great! Beautiful beach and the wife and kids loved it. Wanted to go boating one day and had to get creative. The boat rental place in Treasure was booked up. I figured we'd have to take a taxi to Marsh harbour eventually to get the plane. So, we took the trip a day early and rented a boat in Marsh. Did some sight seeing by boat in the south and then took the boat back to Treasure for the nite. Then, the next morning we got up, loaded our stuff on the boat and had an incredibly beautiful early morning boat trip. The sea of Abaco was like glass, the sun rising over the water and we did'nt see another boat until we got to Marsh Harbour. then a short taxi ride to the FBO What a way to go home!
    BTW, the reason I flew into Marsh is because I had heard that Treaure Cay airport was questionable on fuel/security. Whats your take on the facilities?
  • The airport in Treasure works quite good for the islands, and by those standards quite nice. Customs and immigration are typical small POE. I can't specifically remember getting fuel there, but I'm sure that I have at one time or another. Here's a hint for Spanish, you don't need a boat, the small marina is usually full of bugs. There is also a small plane that is in about 10 feet of water off the end of the runway (what a shock!) that, although I've not been there, I'm told is also the lobster Hilton.

Frank.
  • You will need passports. There is a book available called Bahamas & Caribbean Pilot's Guide that is indispensible. I'm not sure where you can order it from. Randy from POS will probably be monitoring this and may be able to help.

Frank.
  • The guide is available here:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/4447

Good luck.

Randy
    POS Member Support