Trip to Yellowstone

Planning on a trip to visit Yellowstone Park mid May. Anybody have experience they want to share as to best airport for access to park, good lodging, etc.

Comments

• I'm curious as well. Flying from Portland. Is West Yellowstone the closest to the park? How easy is access to the park from the local airports?
  • Looks like I will be flying into Jackson Hole (KJAC). My flt. from here in the SF bay area, should take about 3hrs. 45 min, I'll rent a car and drive into the park. On the aopa website, there are quite a few threads that talk about getting there and seeing the sites. Looks like the best way to see the park is to stay at lodging inside the park and spend a few days there.

I have flown into JAC before, but never to visit the park. This time the camera is going to be handy the whole trip, especially coming in from the southwest near the town of Jackson and seeing those spectacular tetons looming next to the airport. Last time I flew in, there was a tfr to avoid over vp cheneys house and airforce 2 was parked on the ramp at the fbo I tied down at. Quite a few black Escalades and secret service types around.....As usual with mountain flying, I like to fly early mornings into and out of here, otherwise it can be rough once it starts to heat up and the winds start to pick up.