Charleston SC Fun Spots?

I'll be flying into Mt. Pleasant Regional (KLRO) this coming weekend for a family reunion we're having at nearby Isle of Palms. Since I'm sure some folks will want to go up for a spin, does anybody have any recommended sightseeing jaunts in that neck of the woods? Also, any FBO recommendations for cheapest AvGas? I will check with AirNav but I always like personal recommendations as well.

Thanks!

Jeff

Comments

• Excellent destination.
    Best sightseeing by plane is to 'fly low' over the new bridge. Very impressive. especially at night. very high twin tower suspension bridge over the Cooper River. "The supporting towers are like two tall skinny triangles and the freeway goes thru the towers. maybe not on the flying tour but, Charleston = excellent fine dining. Lots of really nice resturants in the Market area. (Grill 225, Annistons, 82 Queen, Cypress, Magnolias, Poogans Porch next to 82 queen has the best brunch) just to name a few. Try Hymans for lunch in the market area. the market area (former historical slave market) full of shops and touristy stuff. Out at Mt. Pleasant, more awesome food,.... Reds (nite spot), Shem Creek Bar & Grill, ... I gotta stop I'm getting hungry.

Oh, by air, check out Ft. Sumter about 5-6 miles to the south of mt. pleasant and Cape Romain a few miles to the north. Old light house at cape romain and awesome views of the marsh around Bulls Bay in same area. can't go wrong checking out all the winding rivers, creeks and marsh areas by air. Watch out for birds,there always around there.

I live 1:45 away so I usually drive. I've flown into Charleston Intl KCHS (lots of military & comm & very pricey on avgas plus landing fees) and Johns Island KJZI ,but not Mt Pleasant. Johns Island FBO is (Mercury Air) very accomodating, free crew car for several hours...this leads to a personal story... very first solo flight with pax...About a week after I got my ticket, I went to work one morning and wife dropped kids off at school, called her cell, told her to meet me at airport, rented the trainer and flew into Johns island (Charleston) took the crew car to The NOisy Oyster for lunch. drove back to the plane, flew back to columbia in time for her to pick up the kids from school..Major impression,..I WAS the MAN!

A fun trip for me is to talk a few of the guys into an oyster roast(early afternoon), then go get in the plane, fly down to Charleston, grab a bushel and be back home for a sundown roast!

Charleston is an excellent destination.
  • Thanks WM! I'm down here now, and we've been so busy I haven't been up to just troll around a bit. But I'm planning a sightseeing trip tomorrow morning, then on Saturday I'm going to traipse my way back to Atlanta so I'll take a few of your directions.

Jeff
  • I go over to Charleston a good bit. Great place to visit (or Live). I usually fly into CHS, which is a 10 min drive to the downtown historical area. If you want Isle of Palms-go to Mt Pleastant, and if S. Charleston ie Kiawah Folly Beach then go Charleston Exec. Charleston has a lot of great museums, aquarium, resturants, shopping, drinking, etc. If going in the summer, you better be going to the beach because it gets hot and muggy. If your just going to eat, shop, site seeing, etc, then you can go anytime of year. Summer months the hotel costs skyrocket but fall season you can get some real good deals. BTW, Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms is a great resort and is only a few miles from Mt. Pleasant. The FBO at CHS was great. They had a car ready in 10 minutes, literally rolled the red carpet out for us even though we were the only piston plane to be seen. There is a $20 landing/ramp fee that is waived if you buy gas. Gas is a bit pricy (~$5.25/gal 6/9/07) but once you factor in the waived ramp fee, it becomes about average for a gallon. I went over for the day a few weeks ago and we had a great time. Was hot but ATC got us off the ground in just a few minutes so the sweating didn't last too long. As far as resturants go: Magnolias is Awesome, S.N.O.B.s, 82 Queen, Shucks, Carolinas, Sticky Fingers, are all great. Hymans' always has a hugh line out front, but my wife has eaten there and said it wasn't good, but I can't comment because I havn't eaten there. The Aquarium is better than Atlanta's (I live in Athens GA) and they have an Imax there too. Cruises to Fort Sumnter leave from the Aquarium now (use to leave from the marina). Anyway...I can ramble on about Charleston forever. PM if you want more info.

Russell
    PA32
  • For those interested, here's a quick trip report on my visit to Charleston last month. Flew into Mt. Pleasant (LRO) and that was a nice little strip. AvGas was reasonable (can't remember exactly, probably about $4.10 or so) and although they do have a $10/night tie-down fee the guy gave me a few free nights and the tie downs are in excellent shape with good ropes and everything.

I took one sightseeing trip while I was there, cruising up and down the coast of Isle of Palms, over Wild Dunes, and over the wetlands areas (at the approved altitudes of course).

On the return to Atlanta my intentions were to mosey down the coast to Savannah and then follow the Savannah river up to Augusta before heading home. But the rain showers along the coast started to build even early in the morning...flew right through a light one over Charleston Executive, so I decided to angle away from the coast and picked up flight following direct to Augusta and then home.

Only thing about the FBO at Mt. Pleasant is that they have a septic problem, and the bathrooms really stink! But they were friendly folk.

Jeff