Fuel Flow at Full Throttle

Does anyone have any Data with a Cherokee 180's fuel flow at full throttle (2700 rpm) running 100 degrees Rich of Peak (Best Power)?

I was running 17 gph during full throttle climb-out and was also interested in this value from other 180 drivers.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• that's about what I'm getting in my 180.
  • OK. I came here because I thought 60 litres per hour on full rich, full throttle, was excessive, but it looks like it is normal. Aircraft is a Cherokee 180 (1964). Engine replaced in 2002. I see this on climb from an airport at 2000 feet AMSL. I am inclined to lean it a little even during the climb. When I lean a little, I can see the rpm go up. Any further comments??

60 lph is about 15 US gallons per hour
  • I usually see about 16.5 with my 180C with A3A engine on initial full power climb out.
  • I have an Archer II with the A4M engine and I get between 8.5 and 10 gph,(depending on how well I lean usually 50-75 ROP) the 180 seems surprisingly high by comparison considering they are almost the same plane.
  • It makes sense that, at higher DA, you would get higher RPMs when you lean a little. That is the same as leaning for "best power".

Doesn't the POH say something about the expected fuel flow in climb?
  • William,

I believe you are quoting cruise fuel burn whereas I am quoting full power (full rich) climb, hence the disparity.

Cheers,
    >MikeL<
    '65 180C
  • Stormflyer,

Lycoming sez not to lean above 75% power. I would not run my engine at 2700 and 100° rich unless above 8500' and at that altitude mine will only turn 2650. I view 100° rich as sort of on the lean side for that kind of power setting.

>MikeL<
  • On my 180D, I usually see about 15-15.5 GPH on initial climbout. My RPM is about 2500-2550 usually. I just looked at some data and with an OAT of 79F, I had about 15 gph and 2470-2520 RPM and indicating 80% HP.
  • That's what happens when you answer without reading the question. :)