my longest cross country coming up

My brother just bought a cirrus sr-20 in the boston area. We are going to pick it up in a 2 weeks and fly it back to austin. its around 1500nm total, then he is flying it back to phoenix where he lives.

Looking forward to some nice x-country time and crossing my fingers on the weather.

Jason "T"

Comments

• -- moved topic --
  • A couple of thoughts...the SR20 doesn't like ice so remember cold clouds = death. You can hang some ice on a 182, but not on a SR2x.

If it has weather etc. try to get the subscription turned over or get the old owner to keep it active for your flight....if it has the Avidyne system and you fly IFR you should have currnet Garmin and Avidyne data bases not to mention terrrain/TAWS and CMAX.

Cirrus charged me $2800 To set up all the databases/Xm on my SR22!!!

Have fun should be a fun adventure.

KB
  • Just remember, you can go several hundred miles north or south of the straight line route and add very little time to the trip. San Diego to Dulles via Des Moines only adds about 102 miles vs. the shortest airway route. That is only about 30 minutes in the Cirrus. Ask me how I learned that one. I have flown VFR from SC to CA in a Cessna 150 with one radio and no transponder. It can still be done, just pick the best route. Go for the best weather and have fun.
  • The trip turned out great. The night we arrived (commercial) was horrible. It was 2500 ceilings heading out, and within two hours it was clear. We were going to fly the entire route, but ended up stopping in Dallas due to weather in Georgetown. My fiance happened to be in Dallas and picked us up. I rode back by car to Austin and he continued on to Phoenix.

What a blast. Had a headwind (30-50) the entire way. made a stop every 3 hours. The trip, while long, didnt seem that bad. Maybe its because Id rather be flying anyways.

Thanks for all the tips guys.