ATP suggestions

I've tried to work dilligently on expanding my aeronautical knowledge and skill set since taking my first flight lesson on 3/28/02. I've done the PPL, instrument, commercial, AGI, IGI, CFI and CFII (ASEL). I've loved every step of the journey. My only regret is not learning to fly years and years ago.

I'm not a career pilot, nor will I ever be. I am a family doc in a small, rural, southern town and do well with the career that I have (I really enjoy it too). I have learned enough to know that you guys who do this as a career really do have a tough time making a living flying!

My purpose for increasing my ratings is primarily wanting to be as "smart" as I can be in terms of both the aeronautical knowledge and experience when I load up my wife and 2 kids (whom I also really love a bunch). PLEASE don't torture me: yes PPL pilots are just as safe and as good as flyers as anyone else. Perhaps, I'm just a slow learner.

I'm now going to start working on my ATP. My question (after the expansive background) is what would ya'll ATP'ers out there suggest as a prudent course of study? What books, publications, etc. have you found useful? Yes, I do plan on using the Gleim study guide for the writ and the ASA oral prep guide for the verbal abuse portion.

Thanks, Jess

PS: we've all read in AOPA, etc. that new ratings etc. can help to lower insurance costs. My broker now tells me, "NOPE! It's all about the hours, Bubba." Well, here's the breakdown of what happened with my insurance at each step of the way:

I've flown an Arrow II (complex craft) since my PPL BTW
instrument: 60% decrease in rates
commercial: 15% decrease
AGI & IGI: 4% decrease
CFI: 11 % increase
CFII: 11 % decrease

PPS: I also appreciate my 2 CFI's a WHOLE bunch more after going through all this stuff! They worked as hard as I did to cram this stuff in to my noggin.

Comments

• > instrument: 60% decrease in rates
    > commercial: 15% decrease
    > AGI & IGI: 4% decrease
    > CFI: 11 % increase
    > CFII: 11 % decrease

I wonder if after the Instrument it isn't just a combination of hours, claims experience and noise that's making the difference.
  • Well, my broker would certainly agree with the fact that I make LOTS of noise each year when she comes back with a quote! Unfortunately, I can't spell many of the words I've used...

Jess