Travel to Miami area

All,

I am flying down to the Miami area to take a cruise. I have a Lance and would like to have recommendations on GA friendly airports. I am considering Opa Loka (opf) but it looks like a big iron spot with FBO's charging big bucks for an 8 day tiedown. Any experience down that way would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Billy

Comments

• Bogey - There are only two airports in the greater Miami area for what you want. Opa Locka is a pretty good cab trip to the Port, about 15-20 miles, which in Miami could be an hour's ride in a taxi. The other one is Tamiami-Kendall Exex (TMB) which is hell and away from the port and probably closer to Homestead and the upper Keys, but there is public transportation that is close (wear a flak-jacket if you decide to go that route). There is also Homestead General, but that is even further south. There is uncovered parking at Miami International, but the ramp fees and the overnight fees at the sole fbo (Signature) will cost more than your cruise.

I would maybe suggest that you look into the couple of GA's that are located just north of the Miami-Dade County line in South Broward, such as Hollywood, or Pompano. Check on AOPA to see what's available there and distances, but I believe Hollywood is probably your best bet.

Most important, build in enough time to take in a Cuban restaurant - ain't nothing like it in the world. Un poco Vaca Frita o Ropa Veija con Cervesa frio y cafe Cubano. Worth the trip even without the cruise. Yum, Yum!!

Frank.
  • Thanks Frank,

We are going in Saturday and Cruising out Sunday. We are staying at the beach and plan on the Cuban meal you suggest. I appreciate your response and I am now planning to land at HWO. Jennifer with The Fuel Depot @ Bobby's landing has been very helpful.

bj
  • What cruise are you going on, what line? Have you done this before? Where are you flying in from? Also, for desert at the Cuban restaurant, order Flan.

Frank.
  • Frank,

We just got back from our first cruise, a Roayal Carribean cruise. Eastern side of the islands with stop in San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Marten. We were on the Freedom of the Seas. I cannot say enough good things about the boat, service or food. I do not care to go back to San Juan or St. Thomas. St. Marten was fun on the French side and the airport is the one where they almost land on the beach.

In another post I am going to sing the praises of Bob and Terry at Bobby's Landing at KHWO. They went above and beyond to take care of us late on a Sunday afternoon. Tony at Aerospace Electronics took care of an autopilot problem (Lance II) I had and we never met. These folks really set the standard for good service. I am from middle georgia (pxe) and needed the autopilot to get home IFR. I would have been in a tight if they had not taken care of me while I was gone.
  • Well, glad you had such a great time. Bummer to a cruise is the first night back at home - who's gonna make the food? Also, glad that you got some competent and friendly help for your plane. Could have just as easily gone the other way.

Yup, San Juan is ok for about one visit, I mean how much rum can you drink and how many butterflies do you want to see? St. Thomas does have about the best Rolex, diamond and gold prices around, but the place is too touristy (?) for my tastes. I was just there on business recently, stayed at Bluebeard's castle - what a dump, but it is one of the better places. Next time you end up there, charter one of the local sailboats for a day's snorkling at one of the nearby islands. Makes for a wonderful day and not very pricey (hint: bring fruit from your cabin for the crew of the sailboat, they don't get much fresh fruit there and it is terribly overpriced).

Frank.
  • We spent a late April weekend in South Beach, and used Opa Locka FLIGHTLINE FBO, which proved to be an excellent choice. Nice facilities, their young line guy was a real professional, and very helpful. Opa Locka is about a $50. cab ride to S. Beach, but Flightline was a pleasant experience...we will be back.