New Member - PA-28-180C

I just recently purchased a 1965 Cherokee 180. I'm trying to learn more about it. It's getting ready to go through annual so I haven't flown it yet. I did notice the pilots' seat feels a little narrow and has a firm spot in it on the seat on my right side. These are the short seats. Is there a way to get the newer high back seats in her? I'm guessing she may need new foam in the old ones. I'm really pumped about this purchase.

Thanks,

Bob

Comments

• Here's a picture...

• Congratulations. I’m certain our moderator, Scott, will give you more info soon. Good luck

• Thanks Kent and hello Bob. Welcome to the airplane ownership club. Anything you need in the way of information is available here, for the most part. I can do research for you and we have other members that chime in, too. So here's the first thing to do. You need to purchase two manuals for your airplane and here are multiple links to get them. I'm referring to the service manual and parts manual. If you don't have an owners manual you can get that too. Here are the links: https://www.esscoaircraft.com/c-5564-piper-maintenance-parts-manuals.aspx and https://www.eflightmanuals.com/ITEM_EFM/CAT_EFM.asp?cID=3149 . Inside the parts manual you'll find information about what part numbers we can look for, etc. These manuals are usually $50 and you can get them in either printed or pdf download format. Go ahead and get these and we can talk some more. While you're learning you can contact me three ways. Here on the forums, via email and via phone. So again, welcome and congrats on your new airplane :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Congrats Bob,
    I too have a '65 180C and I've thought about putting newer style high back seats in mine as well
  • Congratulations! Welcome to the club

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175

• Regarding seats....I just bought an Arrow and the front seats are low and the backs are short. I went onto Amazon and bought a 3” seat cushion for about $35 and love the thing. Even with the short seat backs, I am much more comfortable and have great visibility over the panel. Maybe not a permenant solution, but a much cheaper one. I’m sure I can find a link to the cushion I bought if anyone wants it.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Thanks so much for the info. If you can get the link, please do post it. Many of us are interested.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Congrats! I also have a 1965 180C, and I chose to re-foam and recover the existing short-back seats with an Airtex kit (picture attached). At 5'11", the rehabbed seats with the thicker shaped foam provide me with all the comfort and support I need both in the seat bottom and seat back. But I will admit that the higher seats have a nice modern style to them while at the same time noting that they limit visibility for passengers in the back seat. Its also worth noting that with the thicker seat bottom, it is difficult to wear a kneeboard as the yoke is close to my thighs. Good luck with your decision on seats and your new-to-you 180!

• Very nice looking, super job.

• Beautiful!

• Can you provide a ballpark cost for the front seats re-build please?

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• arrow76r, the front two seat rebuild, which included new sling material to put over the frame, new foam, and the combination vinyl and cloth seat covering was around $700 as part of a larger total rehab package. The seats have a map pocket on the back.

• Thanks! They certainly do look great!!

Jim

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Congratulations on your "new" Cherokee! I have a 1966 180C. The Cherokee is a great airplane.

Regards,

Mike