I just Bought a 1974 PA28R-200 - Hanger Find

I just bought a 1974 Piper Cherokee Arrow II a week ago. The Owner died 9 years ago and it has been hangared ever since. I am going to be going through it and getting it ready to Fly. I am a first time plane buyer. I think that I got a smoking deal on it at $10,000 as I found the receipt for the Garmin 430W that was installed for $12,500 just before the owner passed away. I had an Aircraft mechanic go through it for about 5 hours and he said that it was in great condition. We even jacked it up and cycled the Landing Gear 6 times and all was well. He said most of what I need to Repair/Replace is due to the 9 year Nap that it took. We made a List and I am getting started on it. I just know that I will need help from the Piper Community, so Thank You in Advance! Here are the details:

N41704
Serial Number: 28R-7435210
TT = 4757
SMOH = 970
Prop = Hartzell, 0 SMOH, Brand New
Air Conditioning
Paint = 8/10
Interior = 6.5/10

Suggestions & Findings of Mechanic
Has Chrome Jugs
Auto Pilot Working
All Logs Books, Including Pilots Log Book
Garmin 430W with Auto Pilot
Tires and many Hoses need to be Replaced due to Time
Mags Need to be Rebuilt due to Time
Spark Plugs/Fluid Change/Filters Changed
Rear Muffler Needs Replaced
HVAC Drier/Receiver Missing
ELT Missing
Alt Air Cable froze
Co-Pilot Left Master Cylinder Leaking
Brake Hoses Old
One Lower Spar Cap Cover Missing
Door Hinges need replacing
Bottom Beakon Inop
Pitch/Trim Clutch worn out
Dome Overhead Lights Inop
Replace old Rapco Vacuum Pump
Fresh Annual

I would like to know the Paint Codes/Name. It is a real Pale Blue with Light Blue and Maroon Accents/Trim (Very 1970's LOL) and a Light Blue Interior. I also applied for a change for the N Number - New Number will be N323BG. I look forward to the project, the enjoyment of Piper Ownership and Flying and the Camaraderie.

Thanks,

Brad Goodbread
Okeechobee, FL

Brad Goodbread
Okeechobee, FL KOBE

Comments

• Good looking Piper,,,congratulations on a great buy! I know several on this site have accomplished the same “feat” of returning an aircraft to service. They will likely contribute, as well as our moderator, Scott Sherrer along with our site A&P. Good luck. Keep posting progress photos/info.

• I’m jealous! I just bought an Arrow II in October, but I paid a bit more than you...although mine was in fly away condition.

Anyway, congratulations! Have fun...I love my Arrow...easy to fly and FUN.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Excellent Milk Man (make sure you sign your postings so we can learn your name )! Beautiful airplane and I'm sure it will work out well. We're all here to support you so you've come to the right place. ... $10k for an Arrow is amazing, especially this one! In case you haven't figured it out yet, you're going to need a prop! (just kidding, lol). Keep us in the loop on your restoration process.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I thought something looked a little Off. The Propeller Thingy is Gone.... LOL

No, the original owner had just had the Prop Overhauled just before he died 9 years ago. He didn't get a chance to put it on. It is sitting on a shelf wrapped in sheets with 0 Hours on it.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• Amazing. :) Do you have any interior pics yet?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Interior Pics
    Rear Seats are in the building.
    Vacuuming it tomorrow.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• Nice find! You are a lucky guy. Just so you know, a few additional things are likely to pop up as it begins to fly it's next 100 hrs. The cam shaft is of course a concern as are gyro's that sat around. But I'm sure your A&P has gone over that with you. Congrats!

Jim

• Congtrats! Intersted in following your progress.

• Yup, you have some restoration to do on the inside but that's fun and you'll find it rewarding. :) What a find!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited March 2019

I agree with the others, looks like a great deal, but also as noted, you have a great deal to do. Get your list out and start running those ADs to insure you have them all in compliance. That 430 while "almost new", is last century's technology and to be fully functional should be upgraded to WAAS capability. Garmin, I understand, is no longer supporting its older tech. Also remember that you will need to be ADS-B compliant by next January, if you plan on flying in any controlled airspace. You have a good looking foundation for the money, congratulations. Well done.

• Thanks for the replies. I have an A&P running all the AD's now. The Garmin 430 was already updated to WAAS. So far things are looking good.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• edited March 2019
    Supposed to put the prop on and start the Engine on Sunday morning after oil & filter change. I will have a Certified Mechanic doing the honors. This will be the first time in 9 years that she has run.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• Fingers crossed for good luck! :) My plane started yesterday after nine weeks in hibernation. 9 weeks isn't 9 years, of course, but I was still nervous about it.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• First Engine Start after 9 Years in the Hangar. All we did was change the Oil & Filter, Add Gasoline and change the Spark Plugs... Fired Off Excellent. I took a video but could not attach it.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• Thanks for trying on the video. And congrats on the engine start!!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Video of First Start after 9 years in the Hangar

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• Hey, your engine is going backwards! (just kidding, lol). Congrats on the engine start. This is a huge step forward. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• :) :) :) B) B) B)
    Thanks!

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• GOOD news!

• Hey Brad, what's the latest on your Arrow?? We're putting your plane in our June issue of Pipers. Stay tuned!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited May 2019

Awesome! More work this weekend on her! I am hoping that she will be flying in 2 week! Waiting on Electric Trim Parts and searching for the Clutch for the Air Conditioner Compressor (PN 554-761).

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• When you get to restoring your interior, let me know. I've gutted four Pipers (5th later this year) and replaced the interior upholstery, windows and window molding with airtex, etc.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I was going to do the Interior in about 6 months. I found an interior online that I really like.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• That is a gorgeous interior. Tell me about the headliner, what is it and did it affect weight compared to a stock headliner?

• I haven't purchased it yet. I found it on the Internet by way of Ebay. I think that the Headliner is covered in Suede. They can also incorporate a cup holder in the Armrest. I think the company is Interior Creations.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• Still working every Weekend on the Project! My A&P says after next weekend's list, it will be ready to be signed off with it's Annual and READY TO FLY! I am waiting on the AC Compressor, then install the Cowl. I still need the radios & Avionics checked out. So far I have invested $9,878 on top of the $10,000 purchase price in 9 weeks.

I had the Instrument Cluster Bezels painted with same paint & paint code as the darker blue trim color on the plane. I also replaced the Instrument Bulbs with Blue LED's.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• I had an Avionics Man come out and check the Instruments/Radios, etc. Everything worked fine. He had to adjust the Altimeter because it was off by 100 feet. All Certified for VFR now. Still working on the Air Conditioner. Replaced both hoses to/from the Condenser and had the Condenser Pressure Tested. Installed everything today, sucked it down and discovered we had a leak. Will chase that down tomorrow.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• I think you should change you user name to LuckyDog :smile:

Congratulations on your magnificent purchase! It was meant to be! Just to reiterate what Bill said - in the frenzy to get everything done, remember the FAA mandate to be ADS-B compliant by January 1 if you fly anywhere in controlled airspace. Avionics shops are currently swamped with folks trying to get in under the wire.

Regards,

Mike
  • Mike JJ, I have already talked to an Avionics Shop and they have a 90 day waiting list on the ADS-B unit install. I will be jumping off that bridge soon, thanks for the heads up. I need all the help that I can get, LOL.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE