Do you guys have bird issues in the Spring where you live?

We were out flying, and the Canada geese and Snow geese were competing for airspace with us. There was a flock of Snow geese about a thousand feet below us, and I'll bet there were at least 10,000 geese in that flock. On the way back, when I contacted approach, he came back with "There are flocks of geese showing on radar on the approach end of runway 31." Man, our heads were on a swivel! As you can see, we cheated death yet again!

I love to defy gravity!
1979 Arrow IV

Comments

• Nice photo! And what a blue sky.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• In KY only bird issue is nest building in my hangar>. Great photo

• We have developed a significant native population of Canada geese. Enough that they will fly in 20-30 flocks and on the ground will stop traffic while they waddle across the street. Of course, there is nothing which can be done as they are protected by multiple treaties and federal law.

• Here in Wisconsin we have ducks, geese, lots of smaller birds, flying turkeys near the airport (really), eagles, hawks, bats at dusk, and 15 other kinds all conspiring to throw a party near any airport, lol.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hawks are a particular problem around the airport (the highest I have observed has been 3500msl. When hunting they fly lazy circles from 100 to 300 feet agl over the approach ends of the runways, can't see them a lot of times until you are right on them. Of course, being able to hurdle the coyotes, rabbits and foxes who sometimes bed down on the thresholds is also fun.

• This is a different problem! In Florida

• Oh my! Is he going to put alligator tires on his plane? :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Well, that's a new one on me... :D

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Birds, deer, coyotes, VFR students, you name it we have it :)
  • VFR students...sometimes worse than birds! But, we were all there at one time or another.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• I was there for a mere 10 hours :D B) muuuaahhhahhhaahha
  • Too funny, lol :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Before I was able to hanger my Cherokee 180, I tied down in an area full of our flying feathered friends. Being the natural pilots they are, I have always had a certain reverence for them and therefore a certain level of patience with their antics in the spring.

I had a Cessna 150 for seven years before my Cherokee and would hold my breath as I walked up to the tie down. A single piece of straw poking out of the oil access door was bad JuJu! It meant that I could stuff a mattress with what I would find after opening that door!

When I moved up to the Cherokee 180, I was relieved that I never found straw poking out from under the cowl. On one occasion though, I had to remove the wing tip to remove a birds nest, complete with chirping baby birds!

From then on, people would smile as I approached my airplane with a large shopping bag....to collect the 20 or so pieces of foam rubber I would stuff into every possible orafice a bird might consider an open invitation. Lift your aileron and check out the size of the opening to your wing tip! That's all they need.

Regards,

Mike
  • I have thought at times about hangering my airplane, but have never found a good place to put the rings on the top of the wings. So I am stuck with it just sitting on the hangar floor. :D
    More seriously, I bought a set of cowl plugs to reduce the "invitation" to nest there. My airport has tried to help with the bird problem in hangars by adding anti-bird brushes at the top of the doors.

• edited April 2019

Ah, the ‘e’ vs. the ‘a.’ Funny!

I did resist the rubber snake and stuffed owl, quite popular with other flyers! Thankfully, I eventually found a hangar I could afford.

Ragerds,

Mike

• I bought the sneke :D the emoji was the birds reaction to it.

• Sneke... :D

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV