Landing Gear stuff

Looks like we are going to be replacing the main landing gear drag links soon as we get the 1967 Arrow, mechanic is telling me they are in need of change out. I understand that the Arrows have lots of landing gear issues ? Can anyone here expound on their landing gear issues ? Also, the landing gear over ride is the only way we can get the landing gear to extend while it was up on the floor jacks ...............

Comments

• In the 17 years I have owned my '69 Arrow 200 I had one main landing gear "trunion" (?) and 2 microswitches replaced.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• No issues with landing gear on any of the pipers that I've flown and owned. I've owned 8 over 50 years. 4 twins and 4 singles.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited March 2019

From my experience with Beech and Cessna retractable aircraft, the system on the Arrow is simplicity itself! Much more reliable than the complex system Cessna used on their retractable singles. As far as you having to drop the gear with the gear override, that tells me you may have an electrical issue with your landing gear pump or associated circuitry. The Arrow uses a reversible motor to drive the hydraulic pump to raise or lower the gear. When you hit the emergency gear extension, it dumps all the pressure and the gear free falls down.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Scott, I have a 1992 Arrow III which has never had the gear power pack replaced. I have a glass panel, and recently I've noticed an electrical "blip" on occasion - I hear a blip in my noise-cancelling headset and see a short blip (less brightness) on my MFD screen. Yesterday, the same "blip" occurred 3 times during a 38 minute flight. I'm suspecting that I'm hearing/noticing the power pack turn on the pump to re-pressurize the landing gear hydraulics. I'm suspecting that this is evidence of the need to replace the power pack. Any thoughts? I fly about 75 hours a year and my annual will be coming up in December. Can it wait until then? Thanks. Jeff

• Any "blip" in the gear indicator light? How about the load meter...even though the "blip" is transient maybe you could see a momentary indicator there. The load is pretty heavy so you should probably see something on that instrument. I might suggest putting the plane up on jacks, retract the gear and see if it sags after a while. Also check the hydraulic fluid level. No signs of leakage?? Scott should probably have more ideas!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Thanks Jim. No blip in gear indicator light that I've noticed. No blip in the load meter that I've noticed - but the blips occur intermittently and unexpectedly, so it's hard to immediately notice whether the load meter shows an increased load. Also, no obvious leaking of hydraulic fluid, but I'll watch more carefully. Thanks for your ideas.

• Hello fellows,
    The power pack itself is probably okay. You are more like to have a failing gasket in one of the valves and that's where the leak it. This isn't posing a safety problem but 3 times in 38 minutes is an indication that your mechanic needs to get involved. This is probably a few hours labor and gasket or two.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Maybe I missed something but you said you have to use the gear override to get the gear up while on jacks.That's because your airspeed, "while on jacks" is less that 85 mph. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm sure you knew that. AD 97-01-01 R1 has you replace the main gear side brace assys. I've replaced a few down limit gear switches and the gear rubber bellows about every ten years. Other than that I've had no problems to speak of. I've owned this 76 Arrow since 1980.
    Austin

• My Arrow has a simpler approach...the "auto-extend" was removed!! :smile:

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200