Do you Wax your Prop before Flying in Precip?

Before flying seaplanes, we usually apply candle wax to the prop to prevent damage from water spray. I’ve been flying in moderate to heavy rain lately and wondering if I should do the same for my landplane??

Comments

• I've never heard of that. Very interesting. Maybe someone will have a comment...

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I have heard about spraying a prop with "Pam" prior to any chance encounter with ice but waxing makes sense too. Water spray erodes seaplane props fairly quickly.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• seawater (salt) spray is way more corrosive than rain (acid rain excepted). I am struggling to see the benefit from waxing. It is not like water is clinging to a spinning prop. What am I missing?
    Ben

• I have experienced this first hand on the lakes of Vermont and the Ohio river, flying both single and multi-engine seaplanes. The (sweet) water spray is like rock chips thrown on the prop. After each flight, we had to file the prop (it would be chipped) and wax it. Worried heavy precip will do the same to my land prop and trying to get advice
  • I've flown in lots of rain and snow over the years and never had any prop abrasion.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you sir. I can now rest assured that moderate to heavy precip is what I’ve always wanted it to be: a free plane wash :smiley: