Overhead Red Light Dimmer?

The previoius owner did some modifications to the light (instruments now on bevel lights with a seperate dimmer knob). The red overhead light comes on with the Nav Wheel - it does not modulate with the wheel - just on or off. The wing/tail Nav lights come on with the swith out of off. The White Dome light is on a switch and works fine. I'm trying to find out what the normal operation is and suspect the red light should work off the wheel as a dimmer.

Comments

• Hi and thanks for writing. What model and year of aircraft are we talking about?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• On my 1967 Arrow, the red light dims with the wheel
  • Hi, welcome back Elio! It really dims on the yoke? Wow, I had no idea, lol!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I think Scott has gotten into the Jack 🤣 :D

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Two rheostats in my '69 Arrow...one has instrument panel lights with position lights being on out of detent, the other is red overhead light that also dims the landing gear light when out of detent. BTW...I put a LED "strip light" under the glare shield "lip" to illuminate the panel. The strip projects either red, green, blue or white light and is dimmed by a small remote control. Designed as "mood lighting" but lights up the entire panel very nicely. I also mounted a dim-able light "rod" to illuminate the rocker switches which do not have their own lighting. Handy for finding the fuel pump switch and pitot heat switch at night! Both devices are 5 VDC from a plug-in USB device so are NOT permanent!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Nice job on the lighting. Anything you can do with engine shipping? ;)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I wish!!! And I was wrong...the rheostat/switch that controls the nav lights varies the instrument panel lights and the other rheostat dims the gear lights and also operates the red overhead light. Although it is awe inspiring to turn off all the interior lights on a clear, moonless night over the uninhabited terrain around here and pretend I'm in NCC-1701 on my way to Alpha Centauri!! The stars and Milky Way are humbling.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Two photos, the light bar is dim-able and the LED strip sticks onto the underside of the glareshield.(https://piperowner.org/talk/uploads/editor/vs/o61kjzmjfrfj.jpg)

(https://piperowner.org/talk/uploads/editor/qr/tsbnqy4wbd8m.jpg)

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• How did you supply power to the lights and where did you get those neat metal triangles for the heat/defrost leavers? bob

• The lights are 5 VDC from a cig lighter socket. The metal triangles are original as far as I know! Small Allen screw attaches them to the levers.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• On a related note, I understand that Honeywell (who now owns Clarostat) wants to discontinue the Piper 67436-04, 67436-05 and 67436-06 potentiometers. Hope not! Many PA28 and PA32 models have these!

• Hi,
    We are looking for 67436-04 potentiometer which is now discontinued,
    Any idea about where to find such a part ?
    Thanks in advance
    j-f

• Hi, new part number! Try this: https://aeroval.com/ref/138362/67436-004/

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks, unfortunately the new part number 587-779 seems also no longer available

• You can replace the part with a new, modern electronic lamp dimmer. Have you looked into that?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• This could be a good solution, but we would need a STC (EASA approval). Don't know if possible ?

• Take a look through these. Perhaps you can find a solution. Good luck! https://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• On my 1978 Warrior, there is a knob on the overhead console that controls the red light. It is Piper part 95228-00 POTENTIOMETER - Dimmer assembly. The knob is a separate part (Piper 571 136 KNOB - (PS10067-4-1)). It looks just like a volume control on a radio. Check with you IA and see if he can install that instead. Should be fairly inexpensive.

• Thanks for your help,
    We finally found 2 potentiometer 67436-04 thanks to a contact indicated by Piper.