ifly 740b

Anyone have any operational experience with the 740b?
I use foreflight on an ipad mini but I want to mount something permanently and I feel like the 740 would be a better option...
Thoughts?
I have a warrior with old radios that I want to replace next year. I fly vfr 99 percent of the time and if I do go IFR its usually on top so i dont need too much fancy equipment...(I only shoot approaches at work, this is my fun airplane)

I am very happy with foreflight but I hate it being on my yolk so I am looking to replace 2 old nav/coms and mount a navigational system....any ideas are appreciated and welcome!

Thanks.

Slo

Comments

• Airslo; I don't know if this post will answer your question, but it may help others. I can't claim experience with the 740b, but according to the specs, it looks like a very capable unit, especially the ability to integrate with autopilots and EFIS.

As far as the iFly GPS app; I ran a number of other flight apps before switching to iFly GPS a few of years ago, and I've ever looked back. I like that it runs on iPads, Androids or Windows tablets. I run the iFly GPS app on an Android tablet (lap mount), and have a backup copy on my phone in case the tablet falters. I integrated the tablet/app with my ADS-B (very easy), and traffic and weather are displayed on the moving map screen in near real time. I mentioned in another post that some of my friends who have seen the app on my tablet liked it so much that they switched over to iFly GPS from ForeFlight.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I have a 740b, it's mounted to the right of my center stack as there were no radios in the way over there. The location is very good for me and I have it mounted to angle toward the pilot but also very easy to read and use by the passenger.

Like any portable GPS it's pretty good, and has been accurate in all but one thing, more on that in a moment. I like very much the size and easy to view screen. That's what made it my first pick.

The support from iFly has been good. I talk to them at EAA and by phone when I have a question and they are always very helpful. The screen quality has been good and can be adjusted with ease. There is a lot to like for the price... But.

There are a small number of things I don't like about it too. The lower right hand corner of the touch screen gives you a track up or north up option. Skip using the track up feature as it turns the map only making the words sideways or upside down. The other dis involves the ABS-b in feature I am using on the 740, an option. It always shows another plane in the correct location but the altitude is rarely accurate. At this point I can't blame the unit as it might be another factor. We are still trying to figure that out, with iFly offering to help. It could be the cheap antenna I have on it that is no longer recommended.

Would I buy one again? Maybe. I would like to see if a Garmin 6/795 would fit over there as they have the screen size I like, but they cost several times as much. The ADS-b in issue I have cured by purchasing a Sentry to go with my foreflight/iPad mini located on, you guessed it, the yoke. Not my favorite place either for the install but good enough until my checkbook runneth over for other toys.

Jim

• Thanks so much for your comments, Jim.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• that does help....thanks so much
    I just found out that it wont talk with my stratus 2s....ugh!

• I used a ifly 740b in my warrior for a while, but finally decided to get rid of it. The unit worked well enough, but it sometimes had trouble connecting to the wifi signal at home to update it and, like you discovered, it doesn't play well with the stratus. Mostly minor inconveniences but enough that over time it was easier to switch back to foreflight and a ipad mini suction cupped to the side window
  • Thanks for the info. Good to know.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Jbsc3075. Try using the cable that comes with it and plug it straight into the computer. It works well and is fast. That's actually one of my favorite features.

Jim

• I purchased an iPad & ForeFlight against my will as I'm a PC guy by trade, use Android phones, and hate Apple. So after a year of that damn iPad shutting down all the time I let it all expire and purchased iFly & a 740b. I got tired of using the dash mounted Stratux with antennas, wires, and running hot in the sun so purchased a Stratus ESG Transponder ADS-B in/out w/3i. It worked with the ForeFlight but I'm unable to get it to work with the 740b? I tried the ADSB auto detect, Stratus v1 & Stratus III without success. Although the ForeFlight does have a much better, mature App, the hardware sux! I'm getting used to the simple easy iFLY setup and coming from a PC background sure seems much more intuitive. But if it won't work with my ADSB-IN then I'm really not happy... I'm still upset you can't print out a flight plan with it. Any ideas on the ADSB?

Michael P
    '67 Cherokee 235
    KFFZ - Mesa, AZ

• edited December 2020
    MrPutz;

The primary connection between the devices should be via wireless WiFi. Ensure that the Stratus is configured as a wireless hotspot, then connect the 740b to the Stratus SSID via the wireless WiFi connection.

If that fails, I'd set up a conference call with tech support from both companies and talk it through. To me, this sounds like a simple configuration issue.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanx Griff, I contacted iFly and they said to make sure the Stratus was in "Open ADS-B Mode" by downloading an app for the ipad. This is ironic as I'm trying to get away from Apple but fortunately still have the iPad for a short time. I loaded up the Stratus Horizon Pro App and sure enough the feature was not enabled on the Stratus. I turned it on and then tried the 740B again and still no luck. Out of curiosity I fired up my old Stratux and tried again, still no luck. I've sent an email to Brolin with iFly and now waiting for an update.

Michael P
    '67 Cherokee 235
    KFFZ - Mesa, AZ