New Member: Andreas ADRIAN

Hello! As a new member located in Germany, we freshly own a PA34200T from 1977. We like to overhaul the aircraft and maybe need some hints or helps :-)

Comments

• I'm a Seneca expert. What can I do to help? Your plane is absolutely beautiful!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hello Scott, Hello everybody here,
    sooo, after checking and finding and planning and ... we are in a complete overhaule of N1316A.
    where can we purchase a complete interior plastics equipment? Everything installed is removed and very fragile... thge panel will be made new, so no plasctics required.

• Will somebody be @ Osh?

• Bob Hart and I will be at the Piper Owners Society booth at OSH :) As for plastic, I've used Vantage Plane Plastics on at least five Piper's, including four Seneca's that I've owned. I'm using it now on my Arrow III. Excellent stuff! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Scott, all together.
    I am about to exchange the Altimatic IIIc in our Seneca II but unsure, which new autopilot is favourable to install in terms of tecnical and cost questions. May you have a tip for that?

• Hi, having had Seneca II and III's for 30 years until two years ago, I can tell you this for sure: Stay away from Century, they're history. I had a Century 2000 in my Seneca and while I loved it, I couldn't keep it working consistently. In my Arrow I have an Stec 55x, the best of the analog autopilots. You can get a refurbed one for the Seneca at around $10k from the factory. A new 3100 digital is awesome and pricey. Either is outstanding. The new, low cost autopilots aren't for an airplane as sophisticated at the Seneca though the price is right on those. The Garmin GFC-600 is another really good autopilot.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Andreas - Welcome!

Scott - do you have any insider information on when and if the '600 will become approved for our Senecas?

Bob

• I don't, however, our avionics expert Bob Hart might. He has his finger on the pulse of these things. He usually hits this forum about once a week so I think we'll see him weighing in here soon.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you! Then hopefully in the next six Month or so, something is in progress.
    The altimatic is a dinosaur...

• Actually, the trend is Genesys 55x with Autotrim and Yaw Damper... lot of $...

• edited May 2020

Yes, lots of $$$, except that if you call them, they're having a sale on refurbed 55x's.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Why it makes sense to look everywhre in a major overhaule...!

• Our aging planes need lots of tlc, it's true. But it's manageable, so I keep at it.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Andreas, just out of curiosity, what component was the burned/overheated wire connected to?

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Hi Jim, it was the pitot heat... :#

• Does somebody know, if there is a company still producing cabin bulkheads for a PA34 II?

• Not that I know of, but you can get yours repaired or get a used replacement from a boneyard like Wentworth. I just repaired and repainted my Arrow bulkhead.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• There are bulkhead repair kits available, seems lik plastic augmentation or so with some metal strengthen. Am a little afraid, that the missing plastiziser will lead to some Kardex flour... :-)

• I am searching for a refurbished STEC 55x with autotrim and yaw damper. Seems to be hard to find a system. Does anybody know where to search beside the big salvages?

• Andreas, be aware that if you find a re-furbished STEC 55X (or any autopilot) they are internally configured for a specific airframe. You will end up at an avionics shop to have the unit set for your airframe regardless of the unit.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Are you guys aware that the STEC company is reselling all of the 55x tradein-ins on the 3100? Give them a call!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes, they sell it as refurbished for around 20K$ incl autotrim.
    Yaw damper plus additional ca. 6K$.
    I bought one from a Beech, needing to visit an avionic shop for check and adjusting to our PA34.

I am searching for a place to get the the control cables for the throttle etc. rebuild. Does anybody know, where it can be ordered?

• McFarlene, Skygeek and probably others. I don't think you'll get them rebuilt. I may be wrong on this but I'm thinking new might be the only option. Mark from Airparts West will probably chime in here (I'm hoping).

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Great! Thank you!