New Member: here to learn

Hello All!

I’m relatively new to the club and joined to learn more about the Piper lines. I have a few hours in Cubs (float version), a few hours in Warriors, and an hour or so in an Arrow. I have thought about purchasing a Cherokee over the years, but have yet to take the plunge. Mission: have a plane that is fun to fly with one or two people but is also a good cross country/family plane (I have a small family: wife and 2 year old).

Any information is welcome.

Thanks!

Sean

Comments

• Archers, Arrows and Dakotas seem to meet your current and potentially future needs. I have flown my Archer on many long XCs (i.e., longer than 1000 miles), it is instrument certified and I have enjoyed every trip.

• Welcome!

+1 to what Bill said, plus, as members we have access to Piper Owner magazine archives. Each magazine has a review of some Piper model, written from a pilot-owner point of view. They are very fun and educational to read.

Karol Zadora
    PA28RT-201T Turbo Arrow IV
    Seattle Area

• Hi Sean,
    Having owned 8 planes over the last 55 years or so each one has it's pluses and minuses. Judging your needs is mostly based on your budget. As Bill said above, he's done a thousand miles plus in an Archer. It's not necessarily a good plane for that mission, especially if you have terrain to fly over or weather to deal with, or both. However, if it's what you can afford then it's a great plane! Spend alot of time doing research and understand that the plane you buy today you may replace in a year or two based upon growing family, rising flying skills, etc. Have fun and enjoy the trip (if you'll forgive the pun). Plane ownership is awesome and fun! :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input! I’ll start rummaging around the magazine archives. I’ve enjoyed the articles that I’ve read already!

Sean

• I have left OKC at breakfast and been in LA for dinner in my Archer II, plus I have not been daunted by those rocks between here and there. B)