ball not centered when on the ground

Hello all, on a flat service when taxiing my ball is off to the right, anyone else have this issue?

When flying I need more right rudder then i think i should in climb, and in cruise the ball is mostly centered with wings level.

any thoughts?

Comments

• The ball should be absolutely perfectly centered in level cruise flight. Use the rudder trim to make that happen. When the airplane is stopped on the taxiway, is the ball centered?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I have found that main struts with different pressures can contribute to this. So can an instrument a bit off kilter in the hole of the panel. If you have both, your going to see this affect.

Start on the ground by moving to a known level surface. Then measure from each wingtip to the ground. There is almost always a difference, but if it's a lot that is the first clue. Get the plane level by rolling it up scraps of plywood, or if you have access to the proper jacks, just put enough pressure on the lower wing to get it up straight. You can also place a level across the yoke shafts and tow the plane across some undulations stopping when the yokes are level.

Now with the plane level side to side, check the instrument in the panel to see it it is straight. If not, the attaching screws can be loosened to adjust it to level. Your A&P will probably have the jacks and will know how to adjust the instrument to level. Been there, done that.

Jim

• Thanks Jim!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• thanks all, i will try it all!