turbo question

What it be stupid to buy a turbo aircraft if you never really fly about 5500 feet and live in the flat land of Michigan?

Comments

• Has nothing to do with flatland. In a non-turbo airplane as you climb your plane goes slower and slower and slower. And after 10 or 12 thousand feet or so your climb performance deteriorates to the point where climbing higher is impractical. In a turbo, your airplane can go twice as high and get faster the entire time you're climbing. Assuming that you have a plane that you use to actually go somewhere, and not all planes are made to actually go anywhere, lol, than you know that altitude is your friend. Over the weather. Picking up a tailwind. Getting into smooth air. Perhaps all three! For example: My turbo Arrow will easily do 20,000 ft. I don't go there but I have O2 in the plane and I do go to 17,000 ft. Why? to get into blue sky, no turbulence, no ice or precip. And I can pickup a 30 to 50 kt tailwind sometimes. In the winter going east I frequently can get over 200kts ground speed. And on hot, summer days when you're stuck on the ground by high density altitude and you have to offload people, fuel or baggage I don't have to do that!
    Give me a turbo anyday.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Everything Scott said. I have a turbo in Michigan.

Lon Stratton
    n7xa.com

• Ditto everything Scott & Lon said, I have a turbo in Kentucky.

• I understand they are great for long flights, but what if 90 percent of your flying is less then 100 miles?

• Long flights are relative, sure, traveling 1000 nm is pleasant and saving time vs the old "driving" method...but shorter trips can expand you sphere of opportunities. My family is 5-hours driving or ~1 1/2-hour flight, I detest wasting time on the road. For us it has opened a vast new exploring area. Draw a 300 nm circle from your aerodrome and you can be there is about 2-hours, it all depends upon you mission.

Good Luck and fly safe.

• I wouldn’t say that it would be “stupid” to have a Turbo for your mission...it’s a question of whether a modest amount of extra maintenance is worth having the option to use it when you need it.

I have a NA Arrow and am perfectly happy with it over the flatlands of Wisconsin. I cruise between 6000 and 10,000 feet and just stay away from bad weather....if you’re flying 100 miles most of the time, then a turbo would be just like any other Arrow. If a few times per year you were actually going someplace, it might be nice to have.

If I wanted to go to the east coast in my Arrow to visit my parents, I would have to make a fuel stop. I would bet that Scott’s turbo Arrow could make the flight non-stop.

If I were in the market for an Arrow right now, I wouldn’t be avoiding turbo’s; I’d be looking for an overall package of engine and avionics at the right price. If it happened to be a turbo, so be it.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Nicely put, Jim.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you all....I appreciate you.