FAA Just issued AD on Aspen Displays.

The FAA just issued an AD limiting those planes with ASPEN displays to DAY VFR. Oh no!

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Scott, thanks for posting this. Saving grace is (c)(1)(ii), which lifts the day VFR limitation, so long as you've got backup instruments for the triple-A: Attitude, Altitude & Airspeed. Hopefully, Aspen will release 2.11 software shortly.

• Scott, I received this from Aspen:

Be advised, the FAA approved software v2.10.2 in March 2020 addressing the infrequent but potential reset issue of Evolution MAX series displays and we have successfully implemented this software change for affected customers. These design changes are defined in the 900-00003-001, Revision CC, EFD1000, and EFD500 Software Version 2.X installation manual, dated March 2020. Aspen Service Bulletin 2020-01 describes the v2.10.2 software update procedures.

This AD only applies to Evolution 2000 MAX and Evolution 2500 MAX systems with software v2.10 or v2.10.1 AND if any of the required backup instruments (ASI, ATT, ALT) have been removed. This AD is not applicable to MAX displays that have been updated to software v2.10.2 or any legacy Aspen Avionics displays.

• Roger that! :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!