Seneca V Electronic Engine Instrument Display Failure

I have a 1998 Seneca V, which has both analog engine instruments and an electronic display of mostly but not entirely duplicate information on an electronic display above the stack of analog engine instruments. The electronic display adds ammeter, power, fuel consumption and endurance, etc. The electronic display failed. They no longer make them. Refurbished units are hard to get, and the core charge along with a refurbished unit is more than the cost of the refurbished unit. Given that the cost for a replacement already roughly $6K will more than double if my old unit is not serviceable (due to the core charge), it seems like it is time to replace this with something that is serviceable. Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone have advice on what brand/model engine instrument monitor to replace these gauges with? I believe the analog gauges and the electronic display are actually tied together because a fault on an analog gauge is stored in memory. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Hi DRW and thanks for writing. I've had Seneca 2's and 3's for the last 30 years and so haven't experienced that display although I'm very familiar with it. Do you have room for a JPI 830? It does everything your display does for $2500 or so. I have one in my Arrow and wonder how I ever did without it.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• If I removed the analog gauges, it looks like the EDM 830 would easily fit in the space with plenty left over actually. The one thing I don't see on the EDM 830 that I did have on the electronic engine instrument display (although not duplicated on any analog gauge) is ammeter readings for left and right alternators. It is nice to be able to confirm that both alternators are producing current with something more than just an annunciator saying the alternator is not working.

• Removing analog gauges is a great idea, but to do so you’ll need a replacement instrument that is certified as “primary”, e.g. JPI 960, a pair of EI CGR-30P, or similar

Karol Zadora
    PA28RT-201T Turbo Arrow IV
    Seattle Area

• KZ is correctomundo on that.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes, you are correct that I need something to act as primary. I am looking at the EDM 960, which will do everything the instruments I have will do and more. However, the one thing it will not do is show amps on each of the left and right alternators. It shows overall current drain or charge, but it will not show you that both alternators are producing current. Since you can run the electrical system on a single alternator for most purposes, you could have an alternator producing none or very little current and no way to tell.

• That’s somewhat strange limitation. Sorry, single-flyer here, so no personal experience to share, but I would try to find a shop that has done a lot of these installations; they might have some good suggestions how to get you the data you need. My mechanic certainly did when I asked them to replace my analog gauges with EI CGR combo (love it!)

Karol Zadora
    PA28RT-201T Turbo Arrow IV
    Seattle Area

• I don’t have a JPI (yet) but most amp instrumentation derives it’s amp information from the voltage drop across a shunt. What I’m wondering is if a shunt can be installed in each side and a switch used to toggle between the sides. Just a wild thought since I have no idea where the shunt is installed as designed. It’s still strange the JPI would not monitor both sides though, that just seems basic!