New PA31-310 Member - NavajoArch

I have been working on N911SD since June of 2019 and she is now a real star. This is my second Navajo and my 7th Piper starting with a 1967 C-180 and moving up through the entire line to my present 1973 PA31-310. Unfortunately, the insurance companies are giving me a hard time since I turned 73 even though I have 500+ hours of Navajo time. I probably have to sell my sweetheart and step back down the ladder. Is anyone else having insurance company issues
Pictures attached.

Is anyone else having insurance company problems?

Comments

• What a fantastic airplane.... and yes, everyone I know that's 70 or over is having this problem. I have no idea what to do about it other than shop around.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott. Nice to know I am not alone. They really should look at the person and their capabilities rather than lump us all into a category.

• Yes, that's the way I feel, too. I'm going to go through this next year... :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I'm 72 and my insurance company warned me of this last year. Some of the recommendations they had was to fly as much as possible, do continuing education courses (many are available on line at FAA.gov), and participate in a wings program. One other recommendation was to find a good insurance company and stick with them instead of changing every few years. I did read and article that mentioned AVEMCO values long term customers and their rate increases have not been as bad as some companies.

• Thanks for your comments, Bud.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Great looking aircraft!

Rates are going up across the board and underwriting has become more stringent. Most companies do not like to quote new business for pilots over 69 years of age. BUT, most of the companies will continue to insure you as you age. There are a couple companies that have started adding requirements, co-pilots, annual flight review and medicals etc. It varies with companies and the type of aircraft.

A long term plan is probably to be with an underwriter before you are 69 years old and then you will probably be staying with them for the rest of your flying career. That might not be the same, for say, a Piper Cherokee 140, but definitely in a Navajo.

In your specific case, if you are already insured, you will probably have to stay where you are, and hopefully the insurance company will keep you until you are done flying.

Hope that helps.

If you have more questions or want to talk about the insurance situation or specific companies, feel free to call me. (515) 289-1439

• Hey Sky! Thanks for your comments, very much appreciated! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Ooops, I posted the wrong panel picture. This was of my former Saragoga. See the correct one.

• This is a Beech twin, isn't it?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• "Unfortunately, the insurance companies are giving me a hard time"

What do you define as a hard time?
    High cost insurance, or no underwriter willing to even write a policy?
    Shouldn't be insurmountable obstacle?
    Sometimes insurance isn't worth it depending on mission. There are some good discussions about self insuring around you can find.

Unless you Have a Mike Jones Lock and Key, you can never insure the hull for enough regardless of the premium price. Blue book value plus a little wiggle room, but the $200K+ improvements are on owner already (avionics, interior, paint, or repower). A claim for your gear up accident can total your hull, when you could in fact fix it. Insurance takes the hull, you lose all upgrade investment. Insurance recoups their payout to you by selling your new avionics and engines.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/WoT9Y6iecrU8jwyr6

You have a beautiful Navajo.
    Wonderful Florida, Bahamas machine. You have worked hard and have been successful, no need to step back down the ladder, Is your plane already on controller?
    https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/196218175/1973-piper-navajo-b-piston-twin-aircraft
    I told my kids they will have to dispose of mine. Even if someone else has to fly me around in it.
    Good luck

PA-31
    KHIO
    Garmin Everything

• Looks like Piper yokes, probably not a Beach.
    Beautiful baby you have there.

• Never thought about self insure. Maybe a way to go. Last year only one company would quote me. I have always had smooth insurance perhaps that will be a thing of the past.

• Well,
    Good luck
    You have a wonderful airplane
    I hope you can find a way to enjoy it and have it enrich your life
    I’m partial to Navajos as you can see

PA-31
    KHIO
    Garmin Everything