Has anyone done an Amsafe retrofit?

Hi, I am considering retrofitting my 1999 Saratoga with Amsafe airbags. Does anyone have any experience or advice in that regard? I am based in Central Florida. Any shop recommendations for this. Thanks.
Peter

Comments

• edited February 2021

Hi Peter,
    I just received my Amsafe belts. I haven't read the installation guide yet, though.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I will be installing them in my Arrow in the next 4 to 6 weeks once my plane gets put back together from the firewall and engine mount damage and I have a new Garmin GFC-500 autopilot installed. I am based in Sarasota and I would be happy to show you the end results. I have the 4 seat belts waiting to be installed. Seat belt install appears to be relatively straight forward, hardest part will be finding a good location for the G-sensors.

• Any more information available on this. I'd like to install the airbag seatbelts but only if I can reasonably do it myself. Scott, are you going to write up your seatbelt installation in an upcoming magazine article?

• edited November 2021

Hi Ed, I wrote an article on the Amsafe belts in September, 2021 and it's scheduled to be published soon. Stay tuned. As for install, I put the belts in myself as it's very easy and that kept me from being down. However, the control box has to be put in by an A&P/IA. Perhaps if you put it in your shop can sign off on it. Note: The instructions for installing the control box are very vague due to all of the various kinds of aircraft that they are TSO'd for. You can work with your shop on this.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• They have a youtube you can watch on how to install

• Thank you. I look forward to the article and of course I'll watch any YouTube information.

• I am also getting them done for crew seats in January when I refit the interior. This won't save you "buying the farm" but they cut serious/life threatening injuries significantly. In fact so much I don't know why it isn't FAA mandated(or NZCAA). It is the cheapest upgrade to save life.injury.

• Hi what price have people been quoted, accepting maybe different models have different. PM me if you prefer. I got quoted USD$3,700 per belt. I thought USDS$1,000 for freight was a rip-off. So that is USD$8400 for 2 belts + sales tax here, 15% and labour. all up about USD$12,000 for 2!!

• Install for 4 AMSAFE SOARS AIRBAG airbags were US$~ 5,200 with freight ($200 freight - California to Florida) from HC Pacific phone (909) 598 0509 who were very helpful ( 2 kits - each kit consists of 2 set of airbags and retractable shoulder straps)in my turbo arrow III was ~ 10 hours labor install for all 4 seat belts. (was part of a much larger amount of work). The more difficult part of the work is find an appropriate space for the G-meters / airbags controller.

• I purchased the AMSAFE airbags and provided to my mechanic for installation.

• From the manufacture's website: USD 2,580 for a pair

https://www.amsafe.com/airbag-systems/soars/

• Thanks after I posted I saw the portal. I was def getting ripped off.

• I am beginning the AMSAFE airbag installation tomorrow on my Piper Arrow. Any pictures of installations done on Arrows or similar would be much appreciated. The installation is very vague as Scott mentioned in the thread. I'd like to see examples of how the inflator, connectors and EMA have been mounted.

• These are all of my pics. If you need specific ones that I can take for you, please let me know...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• following up, the AMSAFE review article is now in the April 2022 issue

https://piperowner.org/apr22/

Digital Product Manager
    Piper Owner Society

• I am installing them in the next week, just for the 2 crew seats.

• Good luck, John! If you need to talk to my A&P about the install, let me know.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott, I will pass this on. Honestly it may be the first retrofit in New Zealand.

• Well, from a mechanics personal experience AmSafe is not a very good company to deal with. I understand Covid is the excuse for most things but I have been awaiting replacement parts for a Beech after market system since last Sept and still have not received everything. It was over $5000 to replace the inflator cartridges, a seat cable and the Electronic module that had expired( 14 years and a battery replacement by them every 7 years) at a cost of $500. The test equipment for the shop costs several thousand dollars and requires a test every year for $450. They have even been poor at email responses. Ask some Older Cirrus owners about expenses with these units. I do hope they work as advertised if needed as they are expensive to keep airworthy.

• So ensure that your favorite mechanic either has the test box or can get ahold of one to use for the yearly test.

• The price for these has dropped to $2,580 for a pair.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• any idea if these can be mounted in a '74 PA-32 Cherokee Six?

• Yes, they're on the list! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I just got the SOARS kit installed in my Arrow 3. I like the cover the A&P placed over the EMA and he chose to mount the inflators in the pivot of the seats. With no false floor there is no "elegant" way to install the kit. The EMA and wiring will be exposed above the floor.

• Nicely done. I think I'm going to have my shop do the same thing with the cover.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• The price is now over $3200 whether you buy direct or via a dealer (according to the AmSafe website). Did anyone get a price break from the published number for buying direct?

• I paid $2500 about a year ago. Anyway, I recommend them highly.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!