The Ice Storm

We had a little Ice Storm a few days ago, Feb 3-5. This is how may hangar looks when I opened the door of Feb 7. My plane lives at KLHQ, Lancaster, Ohio Fairfield County, south east of Columbus, Ohio. The shaft of my boot is over 14 inches high.
I threw in the sunset out my back door on Feb 6 just to add some color.
I am a meteorologist, things are saying it is possible not yet forecast but 13Feb2022 may have a repeat ice storm. East of the Mississippi stay tuned.
The photo of my door down is what we got done with an ice chopper and a Gator with a plow.

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.

Comments

• How much on the roofs?

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• @empannin
    Not sure about the roofs. Like all good roofs in snow country, they are flat and can’t be seen from the ground.
    I am going to have to look at the models, see what the European and Canadian are thinking then see what the NAM says. See what becomes of this coming storm.
    I have to take a road trip this weekend with my horses. I don't tow my horses on roads that need salted, that also means I will not be here when the roof gets overloaded with ice to pull my plane out.
    I have only put 12 hours on it. Since buying it.
    It is better to have a popsicle than a pancake for an airplane.
    Now I am worried

• @MikeJJ
    I think they did a great job plowing, you keep your Jeep in there, right? It was so nice of them to give you snow boulders to climb right when you get your Jeep out.
    That would suck if you kept your plane in there but Jeeps love snow boulders.

• Resq5hvy, no Jeep, just my Cherokee and winter storage for my C7 Corvette. The cleared area was to get the car out since the service guy was coming to fix the radiant heater above it! :s

In addition to the snow bank, the melt off the roof drips on the snow, freezes, and makes it nearly impossible to chop and shovel. Sometimes I just clear the tire tracks and if I am not too worn out, I'll fly. Last time out, it took three people to get the plane back into the hangar due to ice on the ramp. I have a small tug, but had no traction. Maybe I'll invest in a winch. I use to have one in another location. Or perhaps studded tires for the tug!

Never the less, even with all the hassle in winter, I am VERY thankful to have hangar accommodations! Perhaps you feel the same.

• Mike's comment reminds me of a question I've been carrying around for a while. My tug has standard knobby garden tractor tires. Of course this time of year, in Worcester MA, ice sprouts up around my hangar like weeds.

Would it be worthwhile to install tire chains, like these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arnold-Tractor-Tire-Chains-for-20-in-x-8-in-Wheels-Set-of-2-490-241-0023/202564030

Bob

• @Seneca38173
    Chains are great, well worth it.

• @MikeJJ
    I have a 2010 Camaro first day of production, I know how you are with your C7.
    They plowed the runway and taxiway leaving snow boulders preventing anyone from getting off one or the other. We plan to attempt to fly tomorrow but who knows. The taxiway was very slick today.

• I have chains on my tug. They work great!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Right now the ramp has gone through several freeze thaw cycles.
    It is a base load of 1/2 ice/freezing rain then 6-8 inches of snow fall. Next to my hangar is blacktop from blowing and drifting but outside my door is ice topped with snow. Slush right now about 1/8 inch thick over compacted snow.
    My truck has no problem staying put. But that is an unfair comparison I have aggressive tires and it weighs 9,000 pounds. Everyone is afraid to test it, I don’t mind being a test dummy we can pull my plane out and point it at blacktop so it will stop in 50 feet. I am willing to taxi and try to stop.
    The thinking is my engine at idle has more power than my tires can hold and it will be pulled along with the brakes locked.
    I have no place to go so being stupid may be fun but is pointless today, it is +4C now.
    What do you think will the snow/ice/slush covered ramp allow my prop to drag the Arrow with brakes locked?
    So far only 1 plane has flown this week and he landed with a snowplow on the runway. Landing 150 passes snowplow, film at 11 was nearly the headline of the week. Things got a little western for a while. After all of that I did not think it smart to ask how the braking action was at that time. Snowplow and 150 both have seat cushions missing, if found please do not return.

• Thanks for the recommendations. Chains will be here Monday. Praying for another ice storm. ;-)

• Too funny! We're still waiting for snow in Wisconsin. Good luck! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Snow will come about the time the tulips are coming up.

• Hmm, you're probably right.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• No such problems like that here in Texas!

John O’Leary
    Turbo Arrow IV (KRKP)
    CFI CFII CFIMEI (Gold Seal), ATP(MEL)
    Wright Bros. Master Pilot

• @jjouscg01@yahoo.com
    That is not what the news media tells us, you are still living in the Stone Age from the ice storm brought on by your Governor, Abbott. He so hates the citizens of Texas, he caused the ice storm of 2021 and is preventing the restoration of power to everyone but his friends.
    You are just in denial, you are being repressed. Come and see the violence inherent in the system.
    (Can you identify that movie?)

• Resq5hvy - leave your unfounded remarks off this forum...it's embarrassing

• edited February 2022
    It's a spoof of verbiage from the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Be careful if you are considering getting your airplane out on a slippery surface! I learned that the little wheel up front doesn't do a very good job with directional control when it can't grip the surface, and the brakes on the mains are useless as well. We were turning onto a taxiway (very slowly) that was covered with hard packed snow and I could not stop the turn. We ended up in a snow bank on the edge of the taxiway. No damage done, but our 30 minute fuel stop took a lot longer than we had planned!

Mark B

• Same thing happened to me many years ago. Ice on the taxiway and a gust of wind and I ended up in a snow bank. No damage done, but embarrassing nonetheless

John O’Leary
    Turbo Arrow IV (KRKP)
    CFI CFII CFIMEI (Gold Seal), ATP(MEL)
    Wright Bros. Master Pilot

• @griff390
    You are correct. I did not expect anyone to get it.

• @MarkB_KS
    Luckily I did not take it out. At the time I had not looked at my new hangar closely. The row I am in is for service trucks and short wing Pipers. Right in front of my hangar is a very deep ditch that was drifted over and the thick ice coating made it look like all the other taxi ways. The ditch is totally unmarked and it was kinda in line with the fuel island.