Piper Issues Service Bulletin SB-1355

This SB is for most Pipers, twins and singles and affects flight controls.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• It indicates a potential recurring inspection though I didn't see a timeframe. Would every annual be a reasonable recurrent period or do we need Piper's clarification?

• Very good question. I haven't read it yet but I will be this afternoon.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• recurring every 100 hours TIS until replaced... what does TIS stan for?
    . Can't find an FAA abbreviation description for this?

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51
    Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

• TIS is time in service

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Piper is so confident that part 91 will do this they don't even have a supply chain for the new parts or even a website that links to "out of stock parts"

Looking at the part and where the t-bar is I think you might need to take out the upper avionics stack to access. Looking at the procedure it would be 5-10 hrs of labor every 100 hrs and maybe things like transponder cert, etc if you need to remove it. Maybe $1000? many shops don't like to mess with avionics though as they often don't have certs, tools, staff to fix. Will the avionics company inspect per SB the Tee weldment? Doubt it!

I think the better approach would be to build a remote camera fixture to slide up and inspect without disturbing anything. This might not be fully in compliant with the (optional) SB but would be a lot cheaper.

Eric

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• I could see the aft side T-Bar (looking forward) well enough to determine that I do not have the gusset (avionics removed for upgrade). Next time, I think I'll get out the borescope for a better view and to document for future comparison.
    DJ

• Remember, from the SB, this is "For aircraft with 3,500 or more hours time in service (TIS)..."

• • If the local area conforms to Figure 1, Detail B, then the tee bar assembly has already been modified in
    accordance with Part II, or has been replaced with a tee bar assembly containing the required features
    (i.e., gusset). No recurring inspections are required. Proceed to Part II, Step 2.

Part II

1. To replace the tee bar weldment assembly, first, in accordance with Section 27-10-00 of the applicable Piper
      AMM or Section V of the applicable SM, remove the control wheels and the control column tee bar assembly
      from the aircraft.

So gusset bad?

• dc871f
    I think gusset is good. I believe that is the support welded to the tee bar in Detail B

Andy

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51
    Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

• I would assume. At the end of where is says if you have Fig.1B and (i.e., gusset). No recurring inspections are required.

It then says "Proceed to Part II, Step 2".

Part II, Step 2 is replace T bar assembly.

Am I reading this wrong?
  • If you are in the Part I compliance window (>3500 hrs TIS and then with 100 Hrs (and reoccurring) you need to inspect per part 1. If there is an issue or at the option of the owner you can terminate the inspection requirement by replacing with the new t-bar with gussets.
    My take is if you want to do this wait until the parts are available otherwise your plane could be down for months (years?). You have 100 hrs and it is not required for Part 91.

I would expect about $2500 for the part and maybe 25+ hrs to replace???. Perhaps there is a simpler way but the plane is largely built around the t-bar. Also, the risk of maint. induced failure would be very high with this. I would suggest exhaustive pictures of every fastener, connection, fitting and shots of how the lines are routed, etc.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• This is not required for aircraft owned and operated by scum, I mean owner operator part 91 folks?

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.

• Correct, Service Bulletins are not mandatory for part 91, even though manufacturers include the word "mandatory".

From the FAA: "Manufacturers issue aircraft Service Bulletins to inform owners and operators about critical and useful information on aircraft safety, maintenance, or product improvement. Compliance with Service Bulletins may or may not be mandatory, but you should never ignore them when it comes to safety."

• @Chris05

Thank you. I am trying to catch up on 91 stuff, I spent 20 years in 121, 135 and 91K. Everything is mandatory.

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.