Updated Piper Service Bulletin - 1355A

SB 1355A supercedes SB1355 in its entirety. Tee Bar Assembly Inspection.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Thanks Scott

• It’s ridiculous that the SB says nothing about adding gusset plates to your existing tee bar (I had mine dye-penetrant checked, and it’s good). If it becomes an AD it’s going to be a big deal to a lot of people. I’m buying one from Flightline now because my airplane is still bare in the front, so it’s a cinch to reach. The price for 2 tubes welded on top of each other, and some extra pieces of metal? $2,011. They believe that everyone that owns an airplane is rich, so they always rip you off.

• Just found out about this. Doing a complete new Dynon panel in a Seneca III and now is probably the time, but I have some reservations about this. Specifically the SB states,

"NOTE: Modification of the tee bar assembly as described in Part II, or installation of a replacement tee bar assembly with the features shown in Figure 1, Detail B, will relieve the recurring inspection requirement in Part I"

I want to know about this Modification statement. It says Modification or replacement however the SB only shows the option of replacement. My next call is likely to Piper but SO many airplanes are affected by this SB that I thought I would bring it up here for the masses.

THoughts?

--mick

• Seems to be a very thin supply of these replacement parts - even months after the original SB. The mystery is the new service bulletin implies you might already have gussets - but how??? Are there original parts out there with the same part number with and without gussets? Did they forget to add it for some planes and not others???

The serial number list is quite comprehensive so I can only conclude they have no idea what type of t-bar may be installed on your plane and you have to sort it out yourself.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)