June 4, 2022 fuel Prices

I have two home airports. As of today, June 4, 2022, here are the 100ll prices:

Racine, Wisconsin KRAC $6.90/gallon

Burlington, Wisconsin KBUU $6.30/gallon

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• About $7.54 in my local FBO. The piston traffic is basically nonexistent sans ATP and Embry training traffic.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Thanks. Where's your local FBO?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• 2R4 in Milton is $6.50. Paid $7.20 in Tuscaloosa, AL when I went for lunch today.

Dan
    1969 Arrow 28R-200
    Herky bird pilot by day

• edited June 2022

Arm + leg + first born.

Per gallon.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I feel a little better now...KCEY has 100LL for $5.75 but I don't know how long it will last...

• For a brief while, diesel at the pump was more than 100LL at the FBO's self serve. That changed on Memorial Day weekend.

Was actually surprised that avgas prices did not more closely align with mogas increases.

Noticed that there is usually some Geo-political driver to price spikes, so avgas going up came with little surprise given what is going on in Europe.

If there is any 'upside' to the price hikes, should the levels remain high for an extended time, it will drive innovations to make the combustion cycle more efficient and fund research into sustainable alternatives.

• $6.97 at KFLY (Meadow Lake Airport, Colorado Springs)

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Thanks Jim!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I paid $5.98/gal at DKB today.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Just a thought…..

ForeFlight shows a map view fairly current prices albeit they can be off a bit depending on how busy the airport is.

I generally “trend” who has the lowest prices and go there. I’m not too wrapped up if it’s off by a bit. Rather, if they are consistently lower priced than other options, the probability is high I’ll be getting the cheaper fill up. Trying to chase who has cheapest fuel any given day is about like a game of Whack-A-Mole.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• www.airnav.com is useful for fuel stops as well as comments on FBO's.

Fuel is only one component of the costs of flying a plane and I would recommend committing to flying even at these insane prices. It is good for the plane, engine, and your pilot skills.

Also a good time to make pilot friends and split fuel costs. ;)

Another note, domestic US flights are now so expensive the break even for a private flight vs commercial is closer than you would think

For example, RT from PDX to Chicago during OSH week is about $1000. Avgas costs in the Seneca are ~ $2400 to 2800. If you have three going it is cheaper (fuel only) to fly this 8 hr cross-country. This was not the case last year with tickets in the $500 range and avgas ~ 5. ($1500 vs $2000 in av gas)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• For over a decade, I've been using skyvector.com for flight planning. I find their interface to be intuitive and easy to use.

A single click displays fuel prices across the nation. If near my intended route, I'll rubber band my flight path to an airport with inexpensive fuel. Saving $2/gallon, means $100 stays in my wallet on every tank.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanks for your input, fellows! We have to stick together as plane owners to get through this...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited June 2022

Also helps to call the potential airfield to verify pricing. Am noticing that the prices appearing in software apps are the lower of self serve versus from the truck (if there is an option). Last year I visited an airfield where it was a no-kidding $2.00 difference between self serve and the truck, so we decided to take the few extra minutes to pump the fuel ourselves.

On a semi-related tangent for those in clubs, now is a good time to assess its approach to financial wellness. I have seen clubs that charge wet rates, pride themselves on 'keeping flying affordable', but refuse to change hourly or block rates as fuel prices change. Those three items are the same as the better - cheaper - faster paradigm: pick *two* as all three are not realistic. If the rates do not change with increasing fuel costs, the club must make up differences somehow. With a mindset of 'affordable' hourly rates, the natural reaction is to extend maintenance as fuel costs increase and pray that one day they come back down. This works for a very short while, but when the maintenance costs become unavoidable, the club blames the plane as 'too expensive', ditches that plane, finds another plane which is more current on its maintenance, and the cycle repeats. And, of course, it is *never* the club management's fault 😉

• 6.19 full serve; 5.99 self serve at DVK in Central Ky. Prices just went up a bit over the weekend.

Filled up at MQJ outside Indy Monday. $7.19 full serve.

• 100LL Avgas is $5.99 gallon at KRRL, Merrill, WI with 24 hour self serve. It's steady at that price and should remain stable for quite some time. KRRL is a good "grassroots" Wisc Northwoods Stop.

• Good to know, much thanks!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• $6.32/gallon self-serve at ZPH, Zephyrhills, FL this morning. It used to be the lowest cost fuel for miles around. Taking a look at the ForeFlight feed, it is almost the cheapest within a 75nm radius.

Brian
    1979 Arrow IV

• Thanks for the update.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Just filled up on Sunday night @ KCHN Wauchula, FL, Just south of ZPH. $5.45 Self Serve 100LL. Credit Card reader was a little wonky, but it finally worked.

Steve Kraack PA-28-161 N8121F Tampa, Florida

• Thanks very much.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Today, Saturday June 25, 100LL gas at KLHQ, near Columbus, Ohio is $6.97, they just got a new shipment of fuel all I heard was $8, I think it will be $8.17 on Monday but at $8 my brain froze.

We have Ethanol Free 90 at lots of stations in the area…I have the juice I use to make 107-110 octane that my supercharged LS Chevy uses…

Jet is $5.45 and I just paid $6.20 for Diesel on my way to the airport on my way home it was $6.30. My truck is “Deleted” it will likely enjoy Jet A, no Prist.

The FBO owner hates to charge these prices and this load he is charging less than what it costs him if paid with credit card so I am paying cash as often as I can.

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.

• These high prices are also driving lower flights and this is not helping GA. For the types of FBO's pistons frequent they are not making the rent on fuel sales and with low volumes will be tough to cover labor.

Meanwhile, crude prices are up 50% vs last year while gas is closer to double... Someone is making a high margin on fuel and it is not the retailers or the transporter.

Looks like the oil companies have been able to write off all of their Ukraine losses while still making record profits....

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• About using Jet A in #2 diesel applications, am not sure I'd do this for long. But that is me. What I do know is that at a minimum there are reports of a mileage reduction on Jet A versus #2. To me this means the engine is working harder, and a harder working diesel engine sees a shorter life. Seem to recall that the lubrication properties are different as well although there are plenty of Internet experts out there as to whether this is a concern or not. And, sure, military applications are agnostic in terms of Jet A, diesel, or any other blend of light oil for fuel, but these systems were designed for the flexibility.

• As of today. KVGT ( north Las Vegas) is : self serve $ 7.69 /gal., and full serve us $7.99. for 100LL.

Flew into KSMO ( Santa Monica, Ca) yesterday and 100 LL was $8.49 full serve only.

Thrilled I had enough fuel to make it home!!

Glad my Arrow is economical on fuel usage.

• No kidding. Thanks for the update.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• KGPH, Midwest National Air Center, Mosby, MO (Kansas City area)

$7.00/gal self serve

• I found $5.00/gallon 100ll at Sylvania airport in Wisconsin. They have 1,000 gallons left and then the price goes up. That was on July 1.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!