Cherokee Warrior seat

The Co-Pilot seat has the recline position that can be selected, or in my case forced on the person in that seat, it will not stay in the forward position, is there an easy fix?

Comments

• On my 1977 PA-28, it's two bolts that hold the seat erect. Check them on your seat. It's easiest if you remove the seat and put it on a work bench.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Adding to Scott's response:

There are also a set of cams that the seat back tilt mechanism engages (via 2 large headed bolts used as stops). Those are the bolts Scott mentioned.

Located near the rear bottom of the seat, there is a horizontal shaft that is connected to the tilt lever. That shaft is where the cams are mounted. It's very common for the cams to wear out. If they have very well defined "steps", they might be ok. If the steps are rounded, replace the cams.

The part number is 19365-002, and you should replace the cams in pairs. If memory serves me, they are removed from the shaft by loosening with an Allen key.

After replacing the cams, adjust the stop bolts so they engage the cams simultaneously and with the "flat" edge of the bolt head (not the points).

Let us know how it turns out!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanks for the better explanation, Griff!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited September 2022

On mine, PA28-181 1979, it’s the spring attached to the horizontal shaft that is broken.

Would some of you have any ideas where I could get a new spring and how I could fix that?

Just hoping that I don’t have to change the whole seat frame…

• Have you perchance tried contacting a boneyard like Wentworth? Also, do you have the part number?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Is the spring Piper P/N 19336-00 and/or 19336-01?

found these in the Piper parts manual.

Dan
    Private Pilot, ASEL & Instrument
    1975 PA-28R-200