NOTAM - Chicago area aircraft being burglarized

All aircraft owners in the Chicagoland area; there have been multiple aircraft/hangar break ins over the last two weeks at Airports in the area. Yesterday Chicago Executive was hit with aircraft broken into, and avionics stolen. It has been reported that a Silver Landrover/Rangerover with no license plate has been at the scenes, along with three individuals.

If you see this vehicle or suspicious activity, notify your local police immediately.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
PA28 - 161
Chicago area

Comments

• Thanks Griff.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Update: I just spoke with a local officer who is also a pilot and aircraft owner. He gave me the update.

Airports already hit:

Lansing IL

Lewis IL

Morris IL

Poplar Grove IL

Chicago Executive/Palwaukee

The damage at PWK alone is over 6 figures. Security cameras show it's the same guys at every airport. They are in and out of the airplanes in minutes, so they know what they're doing. Ramp and hangared airplanes are being targeted. Everything from Lear jets to warbirds to planes like ours.

Remove your radios and leave the airplane doors unlocked. They are using crowbars to pry the doors open. If you're going to lose your avionics, you might as well avoid door/fuselage damage to boot.

Being as brazen as they are, they're most likely armed.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• OK, thanks.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited October 2022

Lets see...

Same 3 individuals.

Same get-away car. Would have been smarter to use something other than a rare vehicle.

Probably same selection criteria on which airports to hit.

Nope, won't take long.

Only thing going for the gang at the moment is not doing repeat hits.

Would not surprise me if the gang used the same scout vehicle (other than the British SUV) for a daylight recon mission. So, playing back surveillance video (presuming the fields have a system) will likely get even more of a pattern, and possibly a license plate.

• edited October 2022

Each piece of avionics has a serial number recorded in the paperwork trail of production - sale - installation - repair. No doubt authorities are tracking this as well. My guess is that this equipment would wind up on some auction site and the stollen equipment would be unknowingly purchased by an unsuspecting victim. Either that or perhaps they are being sent out of the country?

Time to confirm your insurance coverage and let your airport know about the activity if they are unaware.

Years ago, vandals hit 1W2, Baltimore Airpark where I was based outside. I had a 150 Cessna at the time. One night, they went down the line and poked holes in the wings of several low wing aircraft, including one just across from me and burned them to the ground. Then they burned the office building to the ground! I do not remember anyone being charged. They rebuilt the office but years later 1W2 was turned into housing.

Thanks for the warning Griff.

• Thanks guys for your comments.

Here's the latest: They are targeting not only newer avionics, but also older radios which are more difficult to trace.

No respectful avionics shop would touch stolen equipment, so my guess is that these devices are being sent overseas.

Hopefully we won't see "copycats" all over the nation.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• edited October 2022

Thieves are gonna thieve. It is just one of those laws of nature. Humans can establish all the laws we want, but they are only for those whom voluntarily follow.

And at that same time, it does not mean that volunteers need to make it easy on the thieves 😉

Going after older equipment is no surprise, and indicates that the gang has some expertise in the field. So that is another data point for a profiler. Besides, stealing catalytic converters out of cars and light trucks is getting harder to do as it is getting more difficult to sell the stuff, but that is not stopping the desperate or misguided.

• You nailed it. That exact subject (catalytic converters) came up while I was speaking with the police officer.

As you said, thieves gonna thieve.

Protect your airplane.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Theory of moving the stolen equipment overseas might have some merit.

Just saw an article which linked stolen speed cameras in Sweden to parts discovered in Russian drones downed in Ukraine. For clarity, the evidence points to the stolen cameras going directly into Russian munitions. Perhaps this is junk news, but Sky put it out there.

So with that, the gang might have more intent to it than ill-gotten personal wealth. When faced with sanctions, overcoming supply chain disruptions requires creativity.

Griff, am sensing that these possibly unrelated events are worth pointing out to the local LE. Maybe they are unrelated, but maybe not.

• edited October 2022

Jacobsja;

I'll pass that along. Thank you!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I'd love to see these three fellas try this in Texas....

Those thoughts aside, this is a interesting posting. Our airport doesn't have much in the way of security for aircraft aside from locking aircraft doors. It's worth approaching the FBO and asking about security.

• edited December 2022

I'm with you skyfox2024.

Despite the absence of intelligence in our laws here in IL, there are many of us who don't have our heads up our rear empennage. We understand and carry personal protection.

As much as I'd enjoy seeing these criminals assume room temperature, a radio is not worth the risk. According to local law enforcement, these thugs are armed with automatic weapons and will fire first (proving how well criminals obey the aforementioned laws).

If my radios get stolen? As much as it angers me, that's why I pay for insurance.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Griff, is there any mention of these burglaries on the local news or on the net? Can't find anything out there. Also checked NOTAMS for the airports in and around Chicago and no mention of it there, neither. The latter is disconcerting - you think airport authorities would want to warn aircraft owners using their facilities.

• edited December 2022

Skyfox2024:

You are correct. Word of the thefts and damage traveled via aircraft owners who were victimized, airport managers and local law enforcement.

I have neither seen nor heard anything about the burglaries nor aircraft damage on the local news either, but that doesn't surprise me. When it comes to aviation, our useless news media is only interested in crashes or forced off-airport landings.

But I'd be willing to bet that if one of their news choppers was damaged and/or burglarized, they'd be all over the story.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• edited December 2022

My vote is to keep it out of the news.

Last thing we want is for the media, and social media, to pick up these events and just add to the general public's worries about something falling out of the sky.

It is bad enough that there are thousands of car collisions from absolute negligence which go unreported every day. Let alone the drivers do not get the alien probe type of inspection over their life, training history, and maintenance history of the plane. But have one plane fall from the sky, or even not make it into the air, and it is either the talk of the town, or nation.

Yes, I want these thieves caught just as much as everybody else in the community. But not at the likely price of people ramping up noise over airport closures due to fear of things in the sky, or from the state of security at the target fields.

Another benefit to keeping this from getting attention is that the thieves will not have pressure on them which in turn lets them keep thieving with confidence. While seeming counterintuitive, letting them keep going without worry is actually a good thing as LE gets more ability to predict next strikes, or get some physical evidence to track down the individuals.

• Jacobsja;

We agree 100%.

I'd rather not have the media involved either, and for the exact same reasons as you pointed out.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I've seen many portable security cameras in parking lots over the holiday season...It would be beneficial to the FBO to have some of these covering the tarmac...one as a deterrent and secondly as evidence. Just a thought.

• Roevadas;

Good point.

There are numerous videos of the crooks, and it's the same 3 guys every time. Identifying and/or catching them seems to be the tough part.

Their vehicle is the same every time too, but they've removed the plates so it's difficult to trace.

These guys are obviously professionals.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I can't imagine there are many avionics shops that are going to accept over the counter avionics without supporting information confirming ownership. This must be part of an international ring.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• edited December 2022

Eric:

Yessir.

We arrived at the exact same conclusion.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Any update, have they been caught, used as a target?

My Arrow is banished to outside life, I fear if the thieves in general learn the value of the electronics this will become more common.

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.

• The thieves know the word is out on them, and they know they're being sought after.

The latest is that law enforcement has gone radio silent in order to not give the thieves any information that they could use to their advantage.

Being a former LEO, I'm sure you are very familiar with that scenario.

PS - they're stealing older equipment and radios as well. Older electronics are much harder to trace because they don't have embedded electronic serial numbers like the newer gear.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• If you're seriously worried, you can choose to pull the units from the trays and re-install before flight. I'm not sure what I'd choose in your shoes; insurance should cover theft and that might expedite an avionics upgrade :-)

DJ

• I just got my Arrow back after a 4 month up grade. Second day of flying my alternator belt broke, tomorrow it goes in for annual.

I already lost 5 gallons of gas from the left tank and 3 from the right. It happened over night and no other fuel loss before or since. I know my aircraft cover is valuable but so is the interior, so I am willing to risk it but I may taking my toys home with me. I waited 8 months for the GPS/COM and now 4 and still waiting for a G275 that works. I want to figure out how to get lost with the new toys before I have to replace them.

I know all about no info sharing and even miss info sharing as a cop. I am big and look like I know what I am talking about, I fake it well. I was told what to say once and it was a flat out lie but the detectives got what they wanted.

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.