Turbo Plus 220hp STC

Hi. I was wondering if anyone out there has any long term experience of the 220hp Turbo Plus Turbo Arrow engine upgrade?  I can’t seem to find anything on this particular forum about it?

Another 20hp would certainly be a useful max gross takeoff addition (the extra 20hp only being certified for use for 5 minutes).   But how much impact does it have on engine longevity / temperatures ?

Comments

• I had a Seneca 3 that had a TSIO-360 that allowed 220 horses for five minutes at takeoff. The extra 20 horses allowed a much more rapid takeoff roll and initial climb versus my Seneca 2's with 200 horses (like my turbo arrow). If you can get 20 more horses, you'll appreciate it.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Andy, I have the Seneca III with the 220HP available for 5 min. It is such a short time and with a rich mixture so I would not expect any noticeable impact to engine life.

I think you might be better off in the end with the 220HP kit + the intercooler they offer. That will make a difference in engine power/performance/efficiency and maybe a better lifetime.

I have sent Santa a note for my Seneca III for the intercooler kit + a trip to Gig Harbor for the experts to install it...

Next would be Merlyn wastegate controllers...

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• FWIW, my T Lance will also allow full rental power for 5 min on takeoff; 36” and 2700 rpm. However, without the intercooler, you'd be lucky to get two minutes before all your temps are well above 400.

The Arrow is not turboed so I have no data point.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Looks expensive for such a short duration with little gains. I don't have the intercooler (do you?) if you go with the kit minus the intercooler please let us know how it works and if it was worth it:) Then I'll make a decision.

• I have recently installed the turbo plus inter cooler and the 220hp kit on my Turbo Arrow lll. Installed a new 3 blade prop as well. Haven’t had a lot of time to dial everything in but it has definitely shortened my takeoff roll. Worth the investment to me but everything took a lot longer to get installed than expected.

• I have wondered about this kit for years. Especially every time I roll down a 3K runway, heavy in the summer. Those trees come up fast and I wondered if with this kit, how much better it might be.

• That’s basically my thought too hueyseg. Much of my flying is with family nudging max gross. An arrow feels pretty heavy to me under such conditions and that extra 20hp would provide a degree or two of contingency. Obviously not great if it’s an engine killer. But it would seem that if your takeoff fuel flows are accurately setup and you do indeed limit your usage to less than 5 mins and you still keep your cruise power settings to 150hp or less etc. For $10k (roughly what it costs Inc fitting) it might help keep those underpants clean on shorter runways.

• Actually, I have my doubts about my fuel flow setup. I haven't found a TSIO-360FB expert in my area yet. Thinking of calling Conti for a recommendation.

• Call GamiJectors. Same people who own G100UL fuel.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Somewhere between 122 and 140lbs/hr (20.3 - 23.3 G) it seems? The 220Hp alt would seem to ramp that up to 140 - 155 lbs/hr (23.3 - 25.8). I've attached the relevant graphs from the Conti TSIO 360 Engine Manual.

• If my fuel flow gauge is right, then I am lean. I have 17 on take off.

• Yes, didn't think about GAMI.