Remote switching at the hanger from home

For the past few years I had a remote for turning on my plane's heater. It was made by smart things and worked from a cell phone app most of the time. We now have different cell coverage, I don't know what, and the 3 g remote plug system no longer works. I guess its time for a new system. What have you experienced that you like? The airport manager recommends a full internet plan for the hanger, but all I want to do is turn on a plug now and then. Adjacent hangers do not have wifi.

Jim Curns

Comments

• I have seen this product for sale. I know nothing about it but it appears to fit your requirements.

• Do you have Wi-Fi inside the hanger? If so, there are a few options for plug in devices that have apps for them. If you do not, the current “best” option is the Switch-On. The creator is a Beechtalk member and has partnered with Gallagher Aviation on them. I don’t own one, but those who do relate that it is a far superior unit than the SwitchBox system. I had a couple of those and they never worked right. I went to a programmable plug in device I got from Target. Knowing I only flew on weekends, I could use the 7 day programming feature to click on Friday night, then Saturday night but remain off the rest of the week. That worked for me.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• No wifi in my hangar. The switch on could be the ticket.

Jim

• I think the SwitcheOn looks like a winner. I'm going to order one.

Jim

• I don’t think you will disappointed. I hear they work very well.

• Guys at our airfield use "Switch Box" its a cellular unit with free APP on your phone.

• edited November 2022

Just for another reference point, I got a 4G/LTE GSM switch for off-grid use:

https://www.amazon.com/Solenoid-Control-Wireless-Contact-T-Mobile/dp/B07Q7PKW5Z/ref=sr_1_1

While not installed yet due to saving up for the battery bank, plans are to get an inexpensive data plan and just work the device via SMS (text messages). The GSM switch will reply with an acknowledgement text.

Goal is to have the system turn on the engine preheat ~ 2 hours ahead of flight (time dependent on forecast temperatures) via a first SMS, and then send a second SMS about 30 minutes prior to arrival which enables a small ceramic heater for preheating avionics.

Only downside to the GSM switch I got is that when 4G/LTE goes offline (currently estimated sometime after 2030), will need another device.

For the SwitcheOn device:

The SwitcheOn device makes reference to working on 5G frequencies, but I know engoh to know that this is not telling me much in terms of whether it will actually work on 5G when 4G/LTE sunsets. Ok, sure this is currently years away, but still, I am not a fan of squishy marketing wrapped a technical spec.

Main question I have with the SwitcheOn device is total ownership cost. There is an annual subscription of $50 per year (after the first year) where I am not clear on what this includes. If the subscription covers 4G/LTE data, this looks like a very good deal. If a data plan is in addition to the subscription, maybe not. Tough to tell when the owner's manual is behind an account permission wall, and I do not want to register just-cause. Then again, spec sheet shows that the purchase comes with "1 year of Verizon LTE‐M service". So if there is reliable Verizon coverage at the hanger, all is good. If not...

• $50/yr includes the service AND it serves as a warranty vehicle.

Here is a breakdown of the specs. Ive met the owner and bought from him. Solid guy and solid company even though he flies a Bonanza.

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/switcheon.html

• I use a 6 year old mobile phone, constantly plugged in, with hotspot enabled. Phone has a $15/month mint mobile plan. I pair a $7 smart plug from amazon via smart living android app to this Wi-Fi and works flawlessly. Only catch is you the right app on your normal phone. Setup:

1) enable hotspot on dedicated hangar phone

2) connect your normal phone to Wi-Fi from other phone’s hotspot— be sure to turn off normal cell, etc. during this step.

3) install right app for your smart plug on normal phone; pair with plug, etc.

4) re-enable Wi-Fi or mobile on your normal phone. Take plug and dedicated hotspot phone to your hangar and turn on, ensure hotspot enabled

5) your normal phone, using right app, will connect to plug regardless of where it is…

• I do a similar thing except I bought a "Hotspot" from T-Mobile and use it to operate as many WIFI smart devices as necessary. Right now I use "WEMO" smart switches to activate: 1) engine heater (oil sump pad and cylinder base heater bands); 2) small ceramic heater for the cabin; 3) hangar lights and exterior floodlight; 4) 2 webcams (one outside to see how much snow there is outside my hangar :( ), and one inside the hangar (for no good reason); 5) one spare switch. With this hotspot there can be many WIFI devices, each one shows up separately on the WEMO app on my phone or iPad. When I preflight I use the hotspot WIFI to update my iPad for (if necessary) ForeFlight NOTAMS, weather etc. After the purchase the monthly data usage is VERY low since I only send webcam video infrequently. The WEMO app shows the status (on/off) of each smart switch.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Very cool, fellows! Do you have any issues with reception in the hangar?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Although my hangar building is essentially a "Faraday Cage" my T-Mobile hot spot (Alcatel brand) has a strong cell signal. There is a thickly populated cell tower about 1 or 2 miles away and that probably helps!! My "backup" switching system uses an "always on" 3G cell phone and it also has a strong signal.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Great information! Thanks! I especially like the idea of checking the snow level before driving an hour twenty to the airport winters.

• I ordered a SwitcheOn and will report back once I use it.

Jim

• My speed isn’t fantastic but plenty fast enough. My phone hotspot can connect to as many devices as needed and is secure so I don’t worry about other people using my bandwidth. Whether a dedicated hotspot or old phone, this is pretty easy. I use this same hotspot to sync Garmin pilot, file, and do final weather checks before I head out.

• ALEKO® LM183 Universal GSM Remote Control Switch Remote Control Transmitter GSM Power Strip ordered mine on Amazon. It is 99 dollars and you can use a sim card to text it to turn each outlet on and off separately.

• My SwitcheOn came. I paired it to my phone, waited a bit like it said to, and it works.

Took it to the hangar, plugged it in and had no issues so far. I bought the two outlet version and am looking forward to a warm engine AND warm cabin.

It also tells me the temperature in the hangar at the unit. That's kinda nice. 39.4F at this moment, from 15 miles away.

Jim

• I use a WEMO WIFI based system with a "hotspot" in the hangar. At this time I have 5 circuits in use; engine heat, cabin heat, hangar lights (including a floodlight to illuminate the apron in front of the hangar), web cams to see how much snow is in front of my hangar (!), and one spare. I like being able to turn on the hangar lights just after landing at night to be able to open the hangar doors without using a flashlight! You will certainly enjoy a warm cabin now that winter has arrived and the engine will enjoy its warmup too 😄

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• I use a Switcheon for a different application. I have the 12 volt version and it works great. If you happen to be in a hangar with no electricity it would work great with a small 12 volt battery and a solar charger. Highly recommend the company. Great support.

• A lot of ham radio guys set up a radio controlled switch so that they can reboot their repeaters remotely as required. I have always believed that this would be a perfect way to turn on engine heaters if you just replace the relay with one that could handle the higher amperage of the heater. You would need to get a ham license so that you can transmit the signal to turn on or off.

• There are requirements for "over the air control" stations. It is not as simple as just getting a ham license and building a remote switch.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200