POH Guidence

I am a the new owner of a 1970 Piper Arrow 200. Recently watched with great interest the webinar that SCOTT SHERER did for new Arrow owners. One of the key topics in Scott’s presentation was building a POH for your aircraft.

Any new Piper owner should watch the first part of Scott’s webinar that covers the POH. That piece of Scott’s presentation is applicable to all of us. It will show you how to put together a POH if your aircraft does not have one. If you encounter a ramp,check, you had better have your POH.

One of the items needed in the POH is the your Piper’s Aircraft Information Manual. If you do not have the AIM for your aircraft, Scott gave two recommendations of websites where you can get a copy of your Piper’s Aircraft Information Manual. One was essco.com and one was eflightmanuals.com. Scott also highly recommended you have a copy of your model’s Service and Parts manuals.

I took Scott’s advice and visited both of the above websites. I found the Parts and Service manuals for my model Arrow. There were also Owners Manuals and the AIM’s. They also have Piper’s official Checklists and Aircraft Equipment Lists.

I ordered copies of the manuals I needed for my Arrow from eflightmanuals.com. Let me add that eflightmanuals.com has the best prices, plus free shipping on orders over $100. Both vendors also give you option of downloading copies of the documents you need.

Blue skies and gentle winds!

Thanks, Bruce
1970 PA28R-200
Manakin Sabot, VA

Comments

• Hey Bruce,

It's been three years since I did that webinar and version 2 is underway. With the help of members Mike Jones and Jim "Griff" Griffin, who are both collaborating with me, we're changing it from an Arrow only webinar to an "all new aircraft owners" webinar. Stay tuned, it should be done by spring!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I recently completed the POH for my “new” PA-28R-200.

I basically followed the guidelines that Scott provided in the webinar I talked about at the start of this topic.

It took some digging through the mounds of records the prior owner gave me. He did have most of the information that goes into the POH, but it was not organized into a reference handbook.

My POH contains the following sections:

Aircraft Flight Manual (I.e. Information Manual)
    Weight & Balance
    Power Settings & Performance Charts
    Battery Manual
    Dry Air Pump (updated suction pump)
    Filter Manuals (upgraded suction and engine air filters)
    Avionics Manuals (tabs for each piece of Avionics)
    Headset Manuals
    Checklists

I also added a copy of aircraft owners handbook.

There were a couple pieces of Avionics and the headsets that were missing their respective manuals. A quick search on the Net found downloadable copies of those operating manuals at no cost.

I also purchased copies of Piper’s Maintenance and Parts Manuals for reference. They will stay at home, and not in the plane.

Now I am prepared for a ramp check. 🙀

Thanks, Bruce
    1970 PA28R-200
    Manakin Sabot, VA

• Hey Bruce, good job! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited December 2022

Scott, Were you able to finish the new webinar? As the new owner of a 1976 Navajo, I could use some help in organizing the POH.

Panther Navajo : Cirrus SR22T

• Yes, let me check with our content manager to see where it is. Please stand by till monday when he returns. thanks for reminding me.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• NIce work on the POH manuals you guys put together. You can always add more than what technically is required by the model and the TCDS requirements.

On note of caution tho......i have seen threads where owner wants to use a different model year because it has "more information" the last one i was looking at on the cessna site, his model was right at the cutoff s/N for different reference speeds and markings. Everyone said it was ok to use the newer manual. It was not. IF you have something in the plane you are useijng for reference, Make sure it applies to your s/n range of aircraft.

48 yrs A/P IA DAL aircraft inspector. 172N

• You are absolutely right. A great example is the PA28-161. From it's introduction until 1980, the POH listed the gross weight as 2,325. After 1980, it jumped to 2,440. If you had a pre-1980 Warrior and used a "newer" manual, the numbers would not be correct. Presumably, the airspeeds and performance numbers at gross weight would be different as well because the plane is now carrying an additional 115 lbs.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Yes Jim, if someone wants a different manual to have in the plane for reference, certainly no problem with that as long as you would have the correct one for your particular aircraft. From a IA standpoint, i dont care if you have a stack of MaD Magazines for reference as long as the required ones are in there somewhere. The goal is to keep you out of trouble and legal. Carl

If you want to be "super Correct" get a stamp marked "reference only" thats what we do here at work if it is paperwork not directly used in a repair or inspection. You will look like a genius!

48 yrs A/P IA DAL aircraft inspector. 172N

• You have to purchase the STC before you can legally use the higher gross weight numbers from the new manual. There is also a required placard that must be added to your panel. I bought my STC a few years ago and the price was about $325 but has increased substantially since then.

• Kentshaw;

You are 100% correct. Even though the planes are virtually identical, Warrior II's built before 1980, require an STC for you to enjoy the higher gross weight.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area