Cherokee 180 on grass strip

Hello everyone I’m purchasing a Cherokee 180 and I currently live in San Antonio area. I can’t seem to find any where to hanger it except at a private airfield with a 2600’ x 200’ grass runway. There isn’t much for obstacles on either end. Runway seems to be well taken care of. I drove length of it and didn’t notice any major issues and it’s straight and pretty flat. The only concern I see is pushing it in and out of hanger the floor is concrete so there’s an 1 1/2 “ endge on the concrete. Any suggestions or concerns with this arrangement?

Comments

• Oh field elevation 535 ft

• Good luck with the 180... I would rip a 2x6 on a diagonal - drill some holes and stake it in-front of the 1 1/2" ledge (seal it with some preservative. Then buy a used lawn tractor (minus the mower deck) with a tow-bar to move in/out of the hanger...just my 2c worth...please post a pic of your new bird...

• I’ll post a pic when I pic it up. Great idea on the lawn tractor idea. Do you think the grass strip is fine to operate out of?

• My first was a PA28-235C and routinely flown in/out of a grass strip...however, the strip and taxi ways must be maintained...tall grass/mud isn't your friend.

• edited August 2022

Roevadas beat me to posting about the 2 x 6 diy ramp. It's a great idea. My only add is make sure you use pressure treated lumber.

You shouldn't have any problems getting in and out of that grass strip. Some people suggest removing the wheel pants as dirt and grass can accumulate inside the pant. I've flown in/out of plenty of grass strips and never had a problem, but occasionally flying in/out may be different than being based there. Send pics!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• edited August 2022

Grass strips are manageable enough to get into and out of.

Regular maintenance of the strip is key. Had a PA-28 on lease-back for a while and one day somebody decided to try out a nearby grass strip for some soft field practice. Turned out the grass was not mowed for some time and the beige bird came back green.

• I flew my 74 Archer in and out of a 2100’ grass strip with trees at the west end for 10 :years. No problem. In sw Ohio so hot summers. Just use book numbers on approach and departure. Was never at gross. Usually 2 people and 25-30 gallons of fuel. Just sold it and buying a nice pa 32-300 for a better family and travel airplane.

• You will like the grass, and that plane is well suited. Even Arrows and Bonanzas are suited to grass but more cleaning is required for them. I own a Cherokee 180 and a grass strip. It's shorter than what you described and has obstructions but it still works well, with experience.

If it's smooth and well maintained you might come to like it better than asphalt. Best of luck

Jim

• I would also try leaving the pants on if the grass is well cared for. It's easier to keep the plane clean. If its rough, take them off so they don't shake apart.

Jim

• Here is a picture at my farm runway with a little brother.

• My 69 pa28-140 has been based at a 2000' grass strip for decades. Only problem I had was one Spring it was too wet and I sunk in the mud and had to push it out. Walk the runway if in doubt.

Dennis Gray A&P IA

PA-28-140

• Great pic, by the way!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Man that pix makes me miss my old Cherokee-180 C. And the guy I bought it from had his own private grass strip. So a well kept strip is not a problem.

• I keep a 1972 PA28-140 in a hangar at a grass strip in Florida. 3300' runway surrounded by tall pine trees. Takeoffs on hot humid days near gross weight can be a little "iffy" as to whether or not you will clear the trees. The extended Hoerner wingtips by knots2u were a big improvement and I plan to add the Powerflow systems exhaust this summer to further minimize nail biting on those summer takeoffs. The grass itself though is a non-event. You don't accelerate as quickly on takeoff, but your landings are a little softer.....

• Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• But your dentures might fall out :) Louis, have you looked at knots2u gap seals? Climb rate is better, takeoff run might be a bit shorter. And I totally agree on the Powerflow exhaust. I'd get that on before the weather gets too warm down there.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!