PA32 tip tank repair (take 2)

Tried a while back, but here goes.

Looking for someone who will repair fiberglass PA32 tip tanks, inside and out.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited April 2022

Dc871f;

What's wrong with the tanks? Are they leaking, or is the desired repair cosmetic?

If leaking, and you have fiberglass tanks, I would highly recommend finding an A&P or IA with experience refurbishing tanks. If leaking and your tanks have bladders, just have the bladders replaced.

If cosmetic only and neither you nor your A&P/IA wants to attempt the repair, I would suggest a shop that specializes in fiberglass refurbishing. Corvette shops or boat shops would be a great place to start. Ask them to use epoxy resin instead of polyester for the repair. If it costs extra, pay it. The epoxy is more flexible and durable.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• In my various discussions with John Bailey, president of Knots2U, he one time told me that he will repair fiberglass for anyone. Try giving him a call. www.knots2u.com

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited April 2022

I'm an A&P and IA. The problem is I'm not sure what I'm chasing with the tank. It seems after staring inside my tank, and now looking at other PA32 tanks, it may have been sloshed a long time ago.

I have peeling inside the tank on the upper surface where it would probably not have gas unless topped off. Really thin brown material. Looking at other tanks I don't see any kind of sealant. But the missing component here is what did Piper use from the factory? If there was some kind of sloshing there may be a fix in using what the factory used. Was there any kind of sealant used, or was it just fuel proof resins and no other compounds used?

Besides, there's no way inside these tanks. I called Piper to see if they had any kind of repair process for something like this and came up with zero. I would rather buy a tank than to go to the FAA for some kind field approval.

Anyone know of 337 of any kind that may exist for fixing these? And if it was sloshed, I'd rather just hang on the wall for art.

Thanks.

• Dc871f;

Hope you weren't offended by my somewhat simplistic response. I didn't know your level of expertise, but it sounds like you're way ahead of the curve.

New tip tanks would certainly solve the problem, but did you check out the link to fuel tank repair facilities that Scott posted in response to your first inquiry back in May 2021?

Here's the link again: https://piperowner.org/business-directory/directory/fuel-tanks-repair/

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• edited April 2022

Not offended at all, I'm a Gen Xer, so I still believe the "sticks and stones" approach to life.

I've got tanks coming, that will still need massaging. But I wish there was data out there on the original manufacturing method at Piper to see if there is in fact some kind of sealant during the original build, and a fix for it. PA32-260 may as well be a Write Flyer to them, at least to the person who answered the phone.

I did call around to all the shops I could find. Everyone is willing to work on the wing tanks, but not the fiberglass tip tanks.

Thanks all.

• I had a guy in Georgia (just south of Atlanta) rebuild mine about 8 years ago. I’ll look up his info in my logbook and get it to you. Fixed it perfectly. No more paint bubbling.

• I'm looking for someone to put new filler necks in two PA 28 235 wing tanks. They will also need some cosmetic work, if anyone has a recommendation, I would appreciate it.

• Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott. I had already checked with a couple of those and I am going to try the Griffin, GA option that Mephos3851w sent me. I'm in the process of buying a long-neglected Cherokee 235 and it will need a lot of help. Fortunately, I have a great A&P and IA and plenty of budget to make it happen.

• Good luck, Dave! Post pics along the way. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Were you able to reach the guy in Griffin? I've been calling him for about 10 months.

I found another set, but I'll send him my old ones to get worked, if he answers the phone.

• Haven't reached him yet, but I may drive down there Thursday and see if I can find him. That is if I get my tanks off. I'm based in Stockbridge (7GA7) so it is not too far, probably a 30 minute drive.

• Please report back.

He doesnt answer the phone or messages, but I know someone a couple years ago that did get work done there.

Thanks

• Through the help of my A&P, I found a fellow who did an amazing job of repairing my tip tanks on my PA-235. I will tell you it was a long an expensive process, but the tip tanks look amazing. Now I have to get the rest of the plane painted to look as nice as the tip tanks. Good luck.

• I called Knots2U today about repair or replacement options for my PA 28 235 wing tip tanks. A very pleasant conversation but was told they will not do fiberglass restoration/repair on these tanks nor do they carry new tanks and don't have a lead who could do repair or have replacements. Fortunately mine don't leak but, do to over-sanding years ago during a paint touch-up job and the Texas heat and sun (hangared), are really "depressing". Still cosmetic but now cracking paint.

• If the tanks are sound, and the repair is purely cosmetic (and I presume you don't want to do the work yourself), take them to a shop that specializes in fiberglass repair. Corvette body shops, boat repair shops, or a well versed body shop should be able to handle the repair. If any fiberglass work is required, have them use epoxy resin instead of polyester. It's far more durable.

Many of the people at your local EAA chapter have worked on or built composite aircraft, and will know how to make your tanks look new. Use them as a resource.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanks for the reply. Previous owner found the whereabouts of the painter whom he previously used to do touch-ups. Confident he does fiberglass work too. Keeping my fingers crossed.