AOPA PSA

http://www.aopa.org/asf/psa/realHeroes.html

Wonder why they chose a Cherokee Pilot for the spot?...

Comments

• PilotKris Wrote:
    > Wonder why they chose a Cherokee Pilot for the
    > spot?...

'Cause it's hard to look cool wearing a helmet in a 172?? :-)
  • Yeah! Ever seen a high-wing fighter plane?
  • Their "Real Aviation Hero" kinda reminds me of a certain frequent POS Forum poster. Could that have been the inspiration?
  • PilotKris Wrote:
    > Their "Real Aviation Hero" kinda reminds me of a
    > certain frequent POS Forum poster. Could that have
    > been the inspiration?

Maybe they were inspired by the kid over on the AOPA forum who posted a YouTube video of himself "maneuvering" and has attracted the unwelcome attention of his local FSDO.
  • OK, points taken, but Leigh better explains what I guess I was going for. As to Sac's list:

F8, yup, I'd call that a high-wing in anybody's book.
    F4, no way.
    All the others are somewhere in between. Of course, in all of them the forward position of the cockpit makes it a non-issue.

But let's forget about jets, which have their own design criteria, and think instead of piston-powered fighters in the metal age (sorry, all you WWI fans). I can't think of a WWII-era fighter that was high wing off the top of my head. Any ideas?
  • That has to be the most stupid thing by AOPA, could be a good add for Bud-Light commercial...
  • eldartford Wrote:
    > I have never done a "buzz job", although at times
    > I have been sorely tempted. By the way PK, where
    > do you live?
    >

I'm not telling you ed.

Not only would you be likely to buzz my house, you're also very likely to have done something to invalidate your insurance (and I doubt that your estate could cover the cost to rebuild my home).
  • "Past relevant behavior is the best predictor of future behavior" - Dr. Phil

It is reasonable to assume that one who has readily admitted (and is actually proud of) activities that invalidate his/her insurance and shown reckless disregard for FARs and Operating Limitations is likely to engage in such behavior in the future.
  • P-61 Black Widow was a high wing if I recall correctly, a night fighter but still a fighter. Back to the modern era, the F-15, F-22, & F-35 come to mind...
  • 78TARROW Wrote:
    > P-61 Black Widow was a high wing if I recall
    > correctly, a night fighter but still a fighter.
    > Back to the modern era, the F-15, F-22, & F-35
    > come to mind...

Okay, P-61 is interesting. I also thought of the P-38. But I would have to say these are both some kind of hybrid. It's all subjective, but I guess in my mind I would consider something a "high wing" if the cockpit was obviously set lower than the wing itself. Most all of these mentioned (including the modern jets) still have the cockpit above the wing, which I would think is important for pilot visibility in a fighting scenario.

But at this point I think the argument has gotten esoteric, and most folks would rather just rag on PK!