Garmin 696

Thinking about moving my 696 off the yoke and do a panel mount with the angle adapter in my Seneca III. Anybody done this, any pictures, does it lose some functionality not being as easily accessible.

Comments

• When you go to the login page, you have to wait until the little asteryx's show up in the password box before proceeding. If you click earlier than that, you will be logged on as a guest. I've never had the password wait take longer than a few minutes.
  • Jim,
    The problem is that the system logs me out at random intervals and there is no real indication that this has happened untl after I have posted and it shows up as a guest.

Look at any screen while you are browsing the forum and there is no way of knowing if you are still logged in.
  • From time to time, it does that to me as well. However, I can tell when it has happened bcause the moderator functions go away.
  • I have a 696 panel mounted and angled in my Saratoga. Pretty much the same panel as a Seneca. The 696 display is not hard to see but the conrtols are hard to get at. I put it there to keep the wife occupied(XM Radio) and as a back up.
    Mikemini_05082010-2046_New-Panel.jpg
  • OH NO!!!
    The picture confirms my fears... Mike has fallen victim to Garmin's mind control technology and he's got it BAD! (The 2nd worst case I've seen). Just look how he butchered his perfectly good King Silver Crown panel (that offered all that old-school "redundancy").

I'm afraid we can no longer trust his opinions.

PilotKris
    Reformed Garmin Stooge

(I'd have serious panel envy before I reformed. Now, I'm perfectly happy with my 170B and ADF...)
  • I have a 696 panel mounted in my saratoga. This is the only way I would have it since it seems way too big to have it on the yoke. It is coupled up to my 430 and with the data link wx it is an excellent set up. Air Gizmo makes the mounting system and it is reasonably priced.
  • Hey Kris,
    When I bought the plane(a 35 year old dream of mine) I agonized whether I should put in the G500 and the 696. The 530 and 430 were already installed but not WAAS upgraded. I decided to "go for the gusto" so to speak. I figured that if I didn't do it right after the purchase it would never be done, or was that the Garmin Brainwashing :-)? I'm glad I did it. There's no salvation for me now. Here's a close up of the 696 and some of the other "Garmin Demons" as we flew through the Washington SFRA.
    Mikemini_06082010-0701_696.jpg
  • Miken202od wrote:
    Hey Kris,
    When I bought the plane(a 35 year old dream of mine) I agonized whether I should put in the G500 and the 696. The 530 and 430 were already installed but not WAAS upgraded. I decided to "go for the gusto" so to speak. I figured that if I didn't do it right after the purchase it would never be done, or was that the Garmin Brainwashing :-)? I'm glad I did it. There's no salvation for me now. Here's a close up of the 696 and some of the other "Garmin Demons" as we flew through the Washington SFRA.

Beyond sweet!
  • Kris,
    Funny you should mention the 170B. That's the kind of equipment I trained on way back when. Then in the 80's we got the 155's. When I got back into flying a couple of years ago, the Piper Cadet I was getting checked out on had a Garmin 430. I had absolutely no clue how to use it, let alone how to turn it on. I had to have the instructor show me how to power it up. Talk about feeling dumb! Things have changed a lot in my understanding of avionics in the last two years. Nothing like spending time with "John and Martha" DVD's to get up to speed on things. Maybe I'll use Sporty's DVD's next time. :lol:
  • Miken202od wrote:
    Hey Kris,

696... whatever.
    I traded mine at Oskhosh for a "better" unit that will mount on my yoke.

PilotKris

PS. does anyone know where I can get a database update for a Lowrance GPS? Seams mine doesn't know that the DC ADIZ even exists...

;-)
  • Really? Do you get out much? =D Pretty girls used to do it for me.
    Mike
    PS I hope no one is offended by the comment. Just a little attempt at my brand of humor.