POWER FLOW EXHAUST for PIPER CHEROKEE

Have seen some of these on aircraft that are for sale, claims of horsepower increase and I am curious what the effects of fuel burn is (?) Are they expensive and how hard are they to install ? Thanks .................

Comments

• Our mechanic had a 172 in his hangar several years ago that had it on and ha been in a mid-air, losing a good chunk of the wing. He said the pilot felt the extra power made the difference. They don't give you more power than the rated power but the engine in the airplane never generates rated power because of losses in the induction and exhaust. So this is supposed to reduce some of the exhaust losses like a high performance header in a car.

If you generate more power you will consume more fuel but at cruise you are going to set power as a percentage of rated anyway.
  • Our booth at Airventure was right next to Powerflow, and I was asking them about it. They claim to average about 20% more horsepower and less fuel burn. They do have the data to back it up, and havent ever met someone that had it installed that was not pleased with the results after the install. As for installation, I believe that it takes a person about 5-7 hours to do the install if they have never done it before. It basically just bolts on. Depending on which engine your putting it on I think the price for the system was around 3-4k for a o-320.
  • OK, sounds like it is a viable option .................... Appreciate you guys jumping in with some good information !!!
  • I have been using a power flow for about a year now , I Have a 160 upgrade on my 140 and get about a 400 feet per min. climb over the normal Rate, my fuel flow is about 7.8 gph at 75% power. cyl. head temps are cool at below 350 degrees. I also had the system ceramic coated. got mine on a dealer discount from my engine shop.also have climb prop 58 pitch and no rpm build up at 85 mph climb out.