Cherokee 235, 6-300, or a turbo arrow

I'm a low time VFR pilot working on an instrument rating. I Recently sold my cherokee 140/160. I live in east TX and I have a place in Anglefire NM, (KAXX).
I'm shopping for a new plane. Most of my trips will be to angelfire, which is at 8300ft so these are the options I have thought of. The Turbo arrow seems most practical at that altitude but from what I have read the engine needs a lot of attention while flying T/O and landing. Sounds like this plane could be a handful on an instrument approach. Supposedly 10500ft will clear the mountains to get into angelfire. I have flown my cherokee to Raton ,NM but didnt try angelfire since I was close to gross.

90% of the time there will be ~600lbs of people and stuff. I'm trying to stay ~$60000 or less.
I'm looking for suggestions any help apprecitiated
Many thanks Dylan

Comments

• After talking to 3 different mountain flying cfi's they all said Cherokee 235 or cessna 182. There is almost always a crosswind at angelfire so I'm shopping for a 235. Which will save me money on insurance.
  • I have a Turbo-Arrow. Bought it with about 200hrs in my logbook. The airplane is a Cherokee so it's easy to fly and does a good job on instrument approaches.

It has all the Knots-2-U speed mods and will fly 149KTAS on 12.8gph at 10,000 and 159KTAS at 15,000.

It accelerates and climbs like you'd expect from a turbocharged airplane.

The useful load is 1084lb.

The engine does not take exceptional skill or attention to operate. Don't over-boost. Gentle throttle movements to adjust power (a good technique for any engine but a really good idea with this one). Drop the power in increments on descent to manage cooling. I drop 2" per minute. Let the engine run for 3-5 minutes after touchdown to keep oil flowing while the turbo cools down. That usually means just a minute or two after reaching your parking spot. None of this is rocket science and it's second nature very quickly.

Ensure that the engine is a TSIO-360-FB. That 'B' means it has been overhauled with the new crankshaft.

I fly my plane on plenty of long x-ctrys for business and pleasure. It's a nice cruiser and very economical. I put 150hrs on it last year and will be around 100hrs this year.

Good luck with your purchase - it's a good buyer's market.
  • I would also check the A.D. list for whatever airplane you are considering .................... could save you some $$$ there. Cessna 182 is a nice flying airplane but not fast and fuel burn versus miles per gallon not that good, powered by Continental and I do not hear much good things about Continental engines .................. Do a lot of research and ask questions here on the forums ................. ASK mechanics which airplanes are more problematic, ASK owners that fly them, CHECK the A.D. lists on all types considered and insurance rates, lots to do and you know how to do it .............. GOOD LUCK and let us know how you came out on this !!!
  • Well after a lot of shopping. I bought a 79 Dakota with a 430. Have about 3 hours in it and it appears to be a great transition from a 140. Finally I have a real cross country plane. Thanks for the suggestions