discouraged!

So I sent my money, Lycoming said (through the Air Power broker) they would send the new engine last Wednesday. Nothing heard except that it wasn't shipped. Air Power trying to find out what the story is...Only mitigating factor is the 4 inches of snow last night, more tomorrow and the runway was closed from July until last week but I put my deposit and order down in August!!! Very discouraging...

Jim Torley
CFI-A/I/G
1969 Arrow 200
Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

Comments

• I'm sorry Jim. I understand totally. I hope the weather and engine gods treat you well this week!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Another slip in shipping...maybe next week...AGAIN!! Can't get in touch with Lycoming customer support either. Very discouraging :(

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• :s so sorry to hear. I am curious to hear why the shipping is so slow...

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• So am I!!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• edited November 2019
    Hi Arrow76r, this reminds me of my paint. Years ago, I was all excited about a new paint job for my Cherokee. I was promised 3 weeks to complete the job. I went through TWELVE (12) weeks of similar disappointment! But the result in the end made all that stress disappear. Like the paint, you will REALLY enjoy that new engine every time you throttle up. Hang in there!

Regards,

Mike
  • I have developed a belief over the years that promised dates in aviation are illusory, designed to entice but not generally realistic in practice. "We can get it in, but then it will take another week to get to it (now that means at least 3 weeks) then another week or two for the "service" (that means we don't know when we will get to it) and finally a week to test and confirm all is right (now we are into months). :s

• This is true! My “couple of days” G5’s install with reach the one month mark in 4 days. I’m getting a new GPS out of the deal, too, but it definitely matches the aviation timeline rule.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• And my two month paint job took 9 months, lol. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Words of encouragement! Thanks :)

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• New engine arrived at mechanic shop this afternoon! Now to wait for shop time...

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Yes!! Hopefully just a couple of weeks now...

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Jim, After you had a new engine installed, what did you do regarding flying just in the local airport area or did you venture further?

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Arrow76r, good news! You may already know this but follow Lycoming's break in instructions TO THE LETTER! Do not baby the engine, fly the heck out of it within their guidelines to be sure the cylinders break in properly.

Regards,

Mike
  • First flight was a low altitude flight around the local area, more or less big circles over the airport at a high power setting. Second and third flights were cross countries along familiar routes, and the fourth was a 250nm x/c and back. I have been flying normally since then.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Thanks to both! My plans exactly...with the exception that I have to go at least 40 to 50 nm from home base in order to get down to an altitude where I can pull 75% power!! Right now temp at KFLY is 15.5 C = D.A. of 8587' !! Max power would be 70% now...but maybe the upcoming cold fronts throughout the winter will bring the D.A. down to the point where I don't have to go so far "down hill" :)

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• I would guess they ran it for a while on the test stand and did most of the break-in. I bet you have no problem by the time you get it back. I see CHTs under 300 in cruise now and it runs smooth.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Some shops do not run the engines. Sounds like your doing it right. Above 65% power and plenty of cooling air going to the engine.
    Austin

• Time to insert penalty fees into stuff like paint etc. At least I will try to do that. Get the price and timeframe. Give them some leeway and say after that penalties kick in. Then see how they respond. If they say no then you have your answer.

• I use Philips 2050x C oil. It is approved for break in and regular operation. When I'm doing my initial flying, I make arrangements with the tower and even the class Bravo when I was at North Las Vegas and would fly over the airport but never away from it until I flown for an hour or two. The most dangerous time to fly an airplane is right after maintenance. Not a bad idea to have the mechanic fly with you. That way he has some skin in the game. LOL

Scott Brooksby, CFII, A&P, IA

• New engine...flew for the first time just now. Holding pattern over my home base with MP and ROM varied. Some observations: Fuel pressure gauge NO LONGER flutters! (?); Cyl head temps all in low 300's with EGT mid 1400's. Oil temp 175 (OAT +10). Oil pressure 88...Is that too high? Using Phillips XC mineral oil. Mech adjusted check valve but pressure only went down a little. Flew for about one hour...no leaks and "new engine smell"!! Seems to me (!) that engine runs smoother and is quieter that the old one. Maybe the "roller tappets" help it to be quiet?? Tomorrow I will head for low country (4500 MSL) where I can get higher manifold pressure. Now to get the old engine shipped to Lycoming so I can get my $17,400 core charge back!!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Good news, Jim. Congrats :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Congrats on the new engine! Your numbers are identical to mine. My CHTs have actually dropped into the 275-295 range in cruise now. Also, my oil pressure is also at the high end of the green arc. I have noticed that when I have more than 6 quarts it runs a little higher than when I have right at 6.

I am curious to hear what you get for speed and fuel consumption with the new engine. I have been running 22” and 2400rpm at 9.2 GPH and seeing about 140 MPH true airspeed...and, like I said, CHTs all under 300.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Great news, glad you are airborne again.

• Thanks, Bill. And for Jim M, The head temps were about 305 or so but I will keep track of those parameters on my JPI data recording. I was running 2400 RPM at 23 " MP (max I can get here) at 8500' MSL and had TAS of 143 kts. Fuel burn was about 8.7 minimum...my typical burn rate at that altitude. I am glad to hear your oil pressure was high too! My analog gauge also showed the top end of the green band. I was a bit concerned but then checked the Lycoming site and see that the IO-360 oil pressure range is 60-90 with a max of 115 for short periods. With a new, tight engine I think 88 (what I saw on the JPI) is okay. My mech put Phillips XC 20-50 mineral oil in so I will watch the oil consumption closely. I had a new oil cooler installed to eliminate any possible metal contamination plus had the prop governor flushed and inspected as well as had the prop hub flushed. So now it's break-in time before summer flying weather comes around! OSH 2020 too, I hope!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Great news! Fly the heck out of that engine during break in, don't baby it. Check out Lycoming's literature on break in procedures.

You might also consider using Camguard after break in is over and oil consumption is stable.

Bet your happy to be back in the air!
    Regards,

Mike
  • Thanks, Mike. I have perused Lycoming's recommendations and will stick to them for sure! Today I flew down to lower altitudes, 3700 MSL, to get the MP up to 25". Did a touch and go and saw a 1200 FPM climb back to 6500! It isn't very often that I go to low altitude airports so it's always a thrill to see such climb rates!! Cyl head temps got to about 350 in the climb but at cruise they were just over and just under 300F. Oil temp got to 180 in the climb (OAT+6) then back to 170 in cruise with oil pressure running 85 +/-, this was after we adjusted it down a bit yesterday after the first flight. Camguard is a definite possibility although I read that the IO-360 isn't as susceptible to cam problems as the O-320 although I don't know why. I fly frequently and the environment here is very dry on average so that is beneficial, I think.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• For reference, I took a picture of my JPI in flight today so you can compare.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Thanks, Jim. !I didn't take a photo of the display but in the attached data plot you can see from the scale (right side) the head temps run just about what yours did.
    This flight was from KFLY to KPUB today, one RNAV approach to stop and go, then an ILS to stop and go. Then return to KFLY.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Beautiful! I logged two approaches today myself. Since we are within 50 hours of each other’s OH time, we can continue comparing notes!

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Absolutely! My mechanic says we should change the oil at 25 hours (checking filter too, of course) and if the oil consumption is normal then I can go back to non-mineral oil. Since you have already passed that time when did you stop using the mineral oil?

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200