discouraged!

2»

Comments

• edited December 2019

I did 20w-50 mineral oil for 25 hours, and doing another 25 hours on the same oil per my A&P. I am 10 hours into that right now and will be switching to Philips 20W-50 in 15 hours while learning how to do my own oil changes at the same time. I did notice that 10 hours into the last oil change I am still at 7 quarts on the dipstick before each flight, which is the amount they put in at the oil change.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Your A&P's advice is exactly what mine said and we are using the same oil! Here is an odd thought...seems to me that the scale on the new dipstick (came with the engine) is somewhat different than the old one. But since the old motor went back with the mags, dipstick and other accessories I can't compare. Just a feeling. Having started this process in July, it is almost over...as soon as Lycoming gets the old motor and releases my core charge!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• This was the engine as delivered on 20 Nov (in the box) and ready for the first start last Tuesday (16 Dec).

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Looks awesome! I like your polished spinner, too! Mine is white, and I like it, but there is something about reflective airplane parts...

I only had my old engine for about 25 hours before I had to overhaul it, so I can’t say whether my old dipstick is scaled differently or not. I can say that my oil consumption has stabilized even more from the initial break-in. 35 hours in and I haven’t had to add an oil since the last oil change 10 hours ago. I added 2 quarts in the first 25 hours, and probably won’t even need to add 1 in the next 15.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Thanks, Jim. Good data points!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• JimM (and Scott, of course)

I have been considering replacing my JPI EDM 700 and FS 450 with either an EDM 730 or 830 BUT the lack of panel space is causing some trepidation. I looked at the photo you (Jim) sent of your installation and it appears that the EDM 830 is right at the very top of the plastic panel overlay. I see that there is a CDI indicator at the bottom (just as I have) but did the 830 cause a problem with that indicator? Why did you put the EDM at the top of the sub-panel rather than move the CDI up there and put the EDM at the bottom? Sorry for all the questions but fore-warned is fore-armed!!

JimT

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Hi Jim,
    Here's a pic of my panel and 830.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Photos are from when I bought the plane to how it is today. I picked the top right for the EDM-830 because that is where it it fit. I haven’t had any issues with the CDI being on the bottom right. I like where the engine monitor is because it is more aligned with my line of sight and I use it as my primary instruments, despite not legally being primary in the panel.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Thanks Scott and Jim. Scott...I notice there is no VSI. Does the Aspen suffice for that? I know the G5 has that info too but I don't know if a VSI is a "primary" required instrument. Your panel looks great! The plastic overlay in my Arrow is from the days when that looked "cool" but is a pain to deal with now. Just for completeness, here is my panel after I added LED "strip lighting" ( NOT PERMANENT!) under the glare shield lip. The lighting can be changed with a small remote device to be either white, red, blue or green and can be dimmed too. (https://piperowner.org/talk/uploads/editor/9a/mecngumf4aar.jpg)

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• I did the same thing with the not-permanent LED strip lighting! I wonder if we have the same one. It makes for good mood lighting :D

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Could be!! Mine came in 3 sections although I only used 2 in the airplane. I also added a NOT-PERMANENT dimmable, white light, rod-shaped LED below the rocker switches for master, beacon, fuel pump, etc. because at night they are very difficult to see. You can just barely see it in that previous photo although it was not turned on. I will take a photo of it in action the next time I'm at the hangar.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Scott, JimM and maybe others...Other than RPM, manifold pressure, and % HP why did you choose the EDM 830 over the 730?

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• When I added up the options I wanted, it was the same price to get the 830 and have everything included in the kit. When I bought it, it was on sale for about $2200. I get fuel flow, fuel used, fuel req’d at destination, oil temp and pressure, volts, etc....it talks to the gps.

I will say that the fuel used is close, but not perfect. Today it said that I burned a little over 13 gals, but I only could get 12.6 into the plane. I find that it is off on the safer side by just a little bit.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• I already have a FS 450 for fuel flow and it is tied to my GNS 530 for fuel required to waypoint, etc. After fiddling with the "K-Factor" my readings of actual fuel burn to indicated is really close too. The FS 450 shows about 0.4 gallons more used than what the gas pump registers. That is ok by me since I'd rather be conservative on when I'm getting low on fuel just as you do! I also have the JPI EDM 700 with voltage, oil temp and pressure probes. My G5 now has an OAT probe so the only difference for me would be manifold pressure and RPM for which the regular Arrow indicators are fine. I don't see the need for knowing %HP since it is what it is, particularly at the altitudes I fly and I may not want to know how low the HP really is!!! So I don't need any additional probes at all, and JPI offers an "upgrade" from the EDM 700 to the 730 for about $1295 and I would sell the FS 450. I was just wondering what other benefits the 830 might have that I can't discern from the manuals.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• edited January 2020

Hi all,
    My Arrow actually came with the 830 when I bought it. If I were going to do it today I would probably get the monitor certified for primary and remove everything that I could. However, I'm very happy with the 830. As for VSI, don't need one as the Aspen has one built it. That frees a hole, which is nice. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I guess that the VSI portion of the G5 also suffices? I like your panel but I'm not yet able to go that far! BTW...attached is a photo I took this morning of the LED illumination for the rocker switches in my Arrow. The illumination is variable in intensity and runs from 5 VDC. Would be nicer to have self illuminated switches but...!!!(https://piperowner.org/talk/uploads/editor/hg/q7ryemdym298.jpg)

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Very nice. I'll have to look into that.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!