1967 Piper Arrow Gear Hydraulic Pump Motor

2»

Comments

• empannin, Thanks for your recent post and your latest insightful guidance re. my Arrow hydraulic gear problem. I couldn't quite follow your latest post as I'm unsure if your forwarded suggestions are applicable to the Piper family with retractable landing gear. Perhaps it's just me.

• Krelsey;

Followed this thread with interest.

Great job figuring out the gear problem!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• krelsey, glad I could help out! My last post the text was from the maint manual. What they are saying is you want to avoid a situation where you have trapped pressure in the system with the gear up as it might lead to enough pressure with the jacks down to unseat the gear and have a gear collapse while taxiing.
    By using the freefall valve the system is depressurized and the risk is minimized as there is definitely no pressure remaining in the cylinders.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• If any of the hydraulic cylinders in the system has a leaky piston seal it will pressurize both sides of the system and could cause the problem.
  • Try adjusting the up limit switch on the nose gear. Mine started doing that. You may have to bend the tab so it will contact the switch more completely. As of right now mine is solved.