Buying a Cherokee 6 22 years out of annual, the saga and adventure

Hello fellow Piper fans. I just bought a 1974 Cherokee 6 300 that hasn't been in annual in 22 years and I'm documenting my journey on Youtube. I've had several people tell me to join the Piper Owner Society. I'd love to hear your stories and experiences about airplane ownership and rebuilding/repairing them from an owner's point of view.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• I've had four fixer-uppers and have loved them all. And I've really loved restoring them. What can I do to help?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks for commenting! I'd love to learn what you were glad you did and some things you would not do again.
    Thanks in advance
    James

• wow, that was a highly inspiring video... nice job!

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51
    Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

• Hi James,
    I'm just completing my fifth interior from Airtex. I've replaced windows, one-piece windshield installation, speed mods, molding, installed Sirius/XM in numerous airplanes, etc. :) The list is huge! I've written about most of it and it's all available here on this website :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks so much! Can you point me to a couple links/threads so I can read up on it?

• Hi James, here's a link. https://piperowner.org/archive/

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• James, I’ve been enjoying your videos on YouTube very much. Fun to watch your progress!
  • Thanks so much!! It's been fun to do this project. Might have to get another one after this one is finished... Twin Comanche or ???

• Ooo! Twin Comanche!

A Comanche is on my short list of planes to consider when I move up from the Cherokee I have now. Not sure about a twin, though, as insurance seems to be nearly unobtainable.
  • I know the alure of the twin Comanche but don't even consider it. It's way too old and parts are not available. If you want a nice twin, consider the Seminole.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Those are very nice! I do like the seminoles!

• I owned one for five years and put 500 hours on it. I wish I had purchased on rather than the Arrow. I do love the Arrow but I'd love the Seminole more! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• My mechanic mentioned the expert who had a repair path for the gear trunnions for Comanche's recently passed away and parts are very challenging.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Jimmy, watching the saga of the fuel sender - why not get some new ones from McFarlane? When my Cherokee 140 needed one, I opted to replace with new from McFarlane. Wasn't too terrible, and I figured 'do it once' rather than the labor (even if my own) of pulling the tanks out again.

(just curious)

• Also, great job not killing yourself on that hoverboard thing! Impressive!

• Very interesting, congratulations on the purchase and great well done video. Looking forward to your follow ups.

• No logbooks is a bummer. When it hits 5,000 hours it will require the spar eddy current inspection since it has no record of the number of or lack of 100-hour inspections.
    It looks like a fun project and I hope you don't have too many problems. It sounds like you did a pretty good look over before buying it.

100 hours of ground running, not too sure what effect that has on the engine, it would have been much more cost-effective to pickle it for hibernation.

Can't wait to see your progress.

• Had the spar test done last week...