Been Lurking...

Apparently I have been lurking since 2013 and have made no posts. I have owned a 1977 Piper Warrior II based out of KCBF, looking for like minded people to help me grow my hobby...

Comments

• Nice looking bird! And is that your son? I miss my sons when they were that age. Enjoy both!

Anyway, welcome back and I'm very pleased to have your photos on our forum and to have you back to contributing. So what are you doing about ADS-B out?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• That is my step-son yea, he enjoys buzzing around from time to time. I am still waiting to see how things go over the next 6 months, I have a Stratus 2S so I may replace my transponder with theirs...so far that is the plan unless something comes out that changes my mind. I am still debating on what to do about avionics in general, I am going to start working on my instrument over the next year...

• Thanks for the update. I'll help you celebrate when you get your Instrument rating. Your airplane world will open up to you and be a lot different with that rating. Suddenly your airplane has utility. As for avionics, how can I be of service? I've owned 8 aircraft over 50 years. With my avionics helper, Bob Hart, we have a ton of experience and a lot of connections to offer you.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I would like an entry level IFR GPS, currently I just have an older VFR GPS which is really just a back up to my iPad / Stratus 2S. I also have been trying to figure out how people afford avionics, I see folks getting full stacks of Garmin gear and it is twice the cost of the plane itself. I plan on pulling out the ADF as well, it is INOP and I don't see much fo a future for it anyway. Just trying to figure out what I need to save for while I am also working on getting 25 more hours of Cross Country...

• edited September 2018

Hi, so let's get you started with some ideas. First, as you surmise, there is no place on your panel for an ADF anymore, or for that matter, a DME, if you have one. Second, get rid of the KX170 and replace it with a TKM MX-170. They are $3k new and about $1,500 used. They slide in and you don't need any shop time. Your audio panel is okay in the short term but a used Garmin 340 audio panel is about $800 used and is outstanding. It will cost you about $1k to install it and it will last forever. Finally, throw out the kx-155 and kln-90 and replace with a used Garmin 430 for about $6k and $2k to install. You'll have a pretty modern panel for under $11k, complete. Now you can fly IFR when you need to and get home safely. :) How did I do? lol.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I am impressed, I like it but where does one purchase used avionics? I was looking at the Garmin 430 but I wasn't sure if that was the only option for an entry level GPS, not that I think it is bad just not a huge Garmin fan.

• Welcome back!
    Scott is the “go to” source on this site for info, but I will chip in...I don’t know your thoughts on Avidyne products, and I don’t suspect many used IFD440’s on the market, may be worth a look? I am, and I know Scott is, a fan of Avidyne’s user interface.
    I also have flown with my family on many trips, wife and two boys. Now they are 15 and 17..getting too busy to travel as much. My 84 Archer II provides quick and economical travel.
    Good luck on the panel makeover...exciting but can be intimidating econmonically!

• Try these for starters:
    1. http://www.bennettavionics.com/ (a bit higher priced, but thoroughly tested and guaranteed, I've used them)
    2. http://www.barnstormers.com (I've used this source for both buying and selling)
    3. http://www.aircraftspruce.com
    4. http://sarasotaavionics.com/
    There are many other sources, as well. Almost any avionics shop will sell traded-in equipment reasonably.

What else can I do for you?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott,
    Have you ever shopped Wentworth Aircraft Supply?

• Yes, indeed. If I recall, they have a 30 day guarantee on everything. But 30 days isn't alot of time to get a shop appointment. If you buy from there, and can afford it, have it sent to an avionics shop right away and tested thoroughly. JA Aero in Illinois is one such place that will test and yellow tag for $100 if my memory serves. Anyway, yes, Wentworth is good.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Regarding Garmin versus Avidyne. You can't go wrong with either. I've had a Garmin panel since 1992 in many airplanes. My last Seneca had a Garmin 530 for a dozen years and I loved it. I replaced it with an Avidyne 540 three years ago and have really loved that. Both functionally and cost. It slid right into the Garmin 530 slot with almost no wiring. When I got my Arrow last March, replaced the Garmin 650, which worked well but I didn't like touch screen very much with another Avidyne 540. But it connects perfectly with a Garmin 345 transponder. You won't go wrong with either. Avidyne is like Avis Rentacar, they try harder, lol. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I wish there was more competition to drive cost down, granted we are talking about airplanes...I appreciate the resources now I just need someone to negotiate with my wife.

• Safety has been my best “sales pitch” with my spouse...especially with family. But it is a reality...modern avionics reduce work load and have many safety features built in. Hope this helps! Lol

• Well I am going to start with the Transponder, I will see if my local avionics shop has any 430's laying around, they are a Garmin dealer / installer.

• Sounds like to good plan :) Good luck!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I used to fly that plane when it was in Denison. I wasn’t ready to buy an airplane when it left - but last year I bought an Archer II that I also flew about 20 years ago before it moved to AIO. I had the shop at CBF install a 430W that I provided and a new transponder - my ABS-B works. I just had the original Collins radios, so needed to something. Happy flying- you have a good airplane.