My mistress, a 1976 Arrow II

My project is 1976 Arrow II, w Knots 2u speed mods, dual GNS 430W, G5, GTX 330EX, Flight Stream 210, JPI 830, Aspen Evolution Pro 1000 w PDF w/synthetic vision & angle of attack (Pro 1000 w be update in July w Max) Genesis 55X, PS engineering PMA8000

Comments

• Though you like the project!

• She cleaned up pretty good didn't she. She's the kind you'd like to flaunt and take to dinner, she's a lady.

• Super panel. Really like the Aspens

• Excellent job :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Great job and a lot of work. I have the Apsen system also in my 76 Arrow. Spoils me for sure. Can't quite figure out what you put in place of the old Altimatic IIIB autopilot.

• Wow...looks sick... do you mind my asking how much the yokes cost you? And are they easy to install DIY?

• I replaced the old piper Altimatic which was only a two axis autopilot with S-TEC 55X three axis autopilot with preselect alt and alt hold.

The yoke grips are DIY, actually a bicycle leather grips, very easy to install, not approved. Cost is about $6.00

• Austin, regarding your old autopilot hole on the lower left side of your panel. I just had that filled in last week. Here's a pic.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Very nice!

• What is that thing to the right of the two CB's?

• I think your referring to JPI 830

• Nope :) Brand spanking new Guardian Carbon Monoxide detector with Pulse Oximiter. It displays on the 830 engine monitor. And next to that is USB power for my Ipad.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited June 2019

I am not sure if I will get my money out this project when I am finally ready to sell; but I asked my Avionics Shop to upgrade my Aspens Pro 1500 to the new Evolution 1000 ProMAX PFD and 500 MFD MAX. The new glass comes with all the options and two year warranty.

Additional I purchased a factory new scimitar two blade propeller, which eliminates the issue when RPM are below 2400. My options were overhaul the OEM prop or for additional $ go with factory new, which offer warranty and hopefully adds value to resale. Reports suggest av3 to 4 knot increase at cruise.

https://aspenavionics.com/images/uploads/products/1500-single-product-feature.png

• We (my wife and I, she is also a pilot) have a rule. Any money we put in the plane for "upgrades" we do solely because we want it in our plane. We never call it an investment or look to get any return on the dollars spent. That way we spend what we want on what we want in the plane we want and have no disappointments later.

• Totally, agree, plus you can’t take it with you. Interesting, two years ago I had to purchase a nose gear strut. The cost (new) was over $1k, by the time i added labor my bill was one $2k. Plus the salvage yards typically charge you about 60% or more, of the part’s value new with no guarantees, you no idea what you are buying. I am guessing my airplane is worth more by parting it out than selling as whole.

• Probably. You are, too. You could sell a kidney for a new engine :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!