J.P. Instruments 730/830 series

So I understand that the 830 is basically just the 730 with all of the probes included. My question is is it really worth it to get the carb temp probe, separate rpm probe, and manifold pressure probe on a fixed pitch Cherokee 180

Comments

• I understand that the carburetor temperature probe is optional on both units Just wondering if it is a valuable number to have in front of me

• For what it’s worth, I just installed the 830 in my Arrow. The RPM on the JPI is pretty significantly different than the RPM on the mechanical tach. Where I had it mounted, it is easier to see as well. However you decide to do it, you’ll love this engine monitor.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• The mechanical instruments in your airplane are pretty old and the mechanical and electrical sensors and connections are also very old. In my Arrow I have manifold pressure and I don't think you need that in your plane. However, the tach is absolutely correct, as are CHT's EGT's Oil Pressure and Oil Temp. With an accurate carb temp probe you will know absolutely where and if you're in carb icing territory. I would get those for sure.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I agree with Scott on all of that. I love my EDM 800. I put in all the options on my 76 Arrow. The RPM is about 20 different. Most everything else in the same. I put my OAT probe in the oil cooler inlet box. It reads about the same as the Aspen system. The newer stuff is more accurate in my opinion.
    Austin

• Austin,
    I have a Davtron OAT probe that will be added next week to my Arrow so that the G5 will display winds aloft, etc. Davtron's paperwork suggests mounting the probe under the wing out of direct sunlight. I considered having the avionics guy mount the probe in the oil cooler box but I don't know where he will end up mounting it. Under the wing on the Arrow will be a major pain. When you say your OAT in the box "reads about the same" as the Aspen where is that probe mounted?

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• My 830 temp reads six degrees higher than my Aspen probe so I just turned of the 830 display. No more problem, lol.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Duh! If my CHTs ever get too warm, I’ll just turn off the JPI.... perfect solution.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Awesome! Thanks for the input, will definitely add those, didn’t think about the age of the primary’s as a factor!

• edited October 2019
    I Love how you have your JPI 830 mounted. This is my next upgrade after I give my checkbook a little break after the GTX 345 installation to become ADSB Compliant and the Garmin 345 Audio Panel to get rid of the Mickey Mouse floor mounted 9 volt battery intercom set up that I have.

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• It is perfectly in my line-of-sight and part of my instrument scan now. Although it isn’t technically the primary instrument for my MP and Tach, I use it almost exclusively after I get the engine fired up and appreciate not having to look down at every power adjustment, especially in IMC.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Same here, Jim. I have mine vertically and yours in horizontal, if memory serves.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!